Thread: Can I transfer Japanese PDF Files to Kindle?

Can I transfer Japanese PDF Files to Kindle?

I am thinking to get kindle 3 but before doing that I want to clear some of the doubts that I am having regarding this. Actually, I am having 1000s of pages of Japanese literature that are in the form of the PDF files. So I want to ask that if it is possible that I can transfer these files over Kindle e-book. I found that the MS doc file can be transferred over it very simply. Can you tell me that if there is some other version that will be perfect for my needs.

Re: Can I transfer Japanese PDF Files to Kindle?

If you are going to get that just for the PDF files then the K3 which is having the 6 inch screen will be the best option for you. Other than this, you can also take a look at the DX with a 9.7 inch screen and this will show the PDF files in better view. As to whether they might be converted toward Kindle format which possibly depends on whether they are transliterated to western characters. I hope that this will help you take decision.

I would like to tell you that the word files will not be readable on the Kindle devoid of being converted into the .mobi format first. Kindle have hold up for the Japanese but if you want to convert to Kindle format then you need to confirm that you know the character encoding of the original document first or else you will get garbage when it tries to convert to UTF-8. You may have to convert the files yourself if the character encoding cannot be correctly detected by whatever you try to use to convert. The PDF itself may display but the print might be small.

The Kindle is not able to display the Japanese PDF file in a mobi file and this is fpr the reason that it doesn't have the correct font. It just shows up as a lot of gibberish. I was so disappointed when I learnt this, I had such plans PDFs work okay, but depending on the formatting (mostly page and font size) they can be a pain to read. Generally I wouldn't recommend the Kindle for reading Japanese, but the DX might be work properly.

As for PDFs, you can put them on the Kindle without doing anything and they'll display, it's just that the screen isn't ideally sized for the way most PDFs are formatted. I have fudge my way around this a few times, changing the 'page size' on my original documents (three inches wide by four inches high worked quite well, with an 11pt font and 2 inch margins all around) before converting to PDF. I'm not sure if there exists a way to reformat an existing PDF document in this way.

I tried using every different encoding I could think of, with no luck. Maybe I will give it another go.* Do you know if there's an official guide to formatting a Japanese html file for the Kindle?* In any case, it doesn't support tategaki (vertical formatting) or does it?* I'd be very happy if it did, although just thinking of the potential formatting issues gives me a headache.