Thread: Dell Streak keyboard is not working

Dell Streak keyboard is not working

I am using the Dell Streak from last two months. Android 2.2 Froyo is installed in the device. Recently I installed a new keyboard in it. I am unable to find few features in my new keyboard. Actually I am unable to find a way to close the keyboard once I am done with the work. The older keyboard which had come along with the device worked very well and it had a back arrow in its interface to close the keyboard. Does anyone know what is the issue with the new keyboard installed in my Dell Streak.

Re: Dell Streak keyboard is not working

Please provide us with some more information about your issue. It is merely not possible for anyone to help you unless you give all the necessary information about your problem. You haven’t mentioned which keyboard you have installed in your Dell Streak device. Unless we know the keyboard you using, I won’t be able to help you solve the mater. So, kindly be more co-operative as each keyboard has its own interface and features. Thus, user will have to perform different steps to perform the same thing in different application.

I have used Dell Streak with different Keyboards. And, in all the keyboards I have noticed that usually they provide options to hide and unhide the keyboard as per the users choice. So, I would suggest you to go to the options/settings of your keyboard and check out for anything related to hide/unhide of the keyboard. Look upon about the different features of the keyboard which you are using currently on Internet and learn about the same. Normally the keyboard must be provided with help file. Check out the following for more tips.

Like the older version of keyboard which you used in your Dell Streak this new one will also be having the shortcut to close and open the keyboard. I click on the back button provided in my Streak inorder to close the keyboard and it works for sure. So, I will also ask you to perform the same. Once you are done with your typing, just hit the soft back button on your device and it will be rolling you back. That’s it. You should definitely try it out as this had helped me and chances are high that it will help you as well.

I tried out what you guys asked me to but I did not find it to be much useful. And yes sorry for providing less information regarding the issue. I did as you asked me to do, clicked on the soft touch back button but instead of hiding the keyboard, I am taken to once screen back. But I wanted to know how to hide the following keyboard. The earlier Android 1.6 keyboard was so much better as it had the arrow button to do the following. Anyways thanks for replying. Anymore help will be appreciated.

The new Android keyboard appears only when you are clicking or tapping on the Text box inorder to type in text unlike the older one. Touching the back button works very well to hide the keyboard. It is working very well for me. Just make sure that you not hitting the back button twice. Also, once you have completed typing, click the Enter key or the Done option and this will automatically close the keyboard. And again when you want the keyboard to appear, click on the any Text field.

I would recommend you to try to reinstall the following keyboard which you had installed in your dell Streak. If reinstalling the keyboard doesn’t solve the issue, then I recommend you to do a system restore and get back the original keyboard which was already installed in your Dell Streak. Atleast the original one will work for you or you can even visit the official website of Android Market through your device and search for some alternative keyboard apps for your device.