Thread: Unable to use Ubuntu 10.10 on my HP G62 Notebook

Unable to use Ubuntu 10.10 on my HP G62 Notebook

I set up Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop G62 450er. But I cannot use because Wi-Fi card does not work. 'Ifconfig' shows only two interfaces 'eth0' and 'what'. Also 'lspci' gives the name of the card installed - 'Ralink 5390. I downloaded the authorized drivers but I cannot install and I cannot find in any manual. I have no experience in installing the drivers from the source to make use of the 'deb' packages. Here I cannot find the drivers in the "support and drivers section of my card. I cannot use Wi-Fi internet. Someone can help me?

Re: Unable to use Ubuntu 10.10 on my HP G62 Notebook

Sorry, but HP does not support their product for the reason that it does not sell a laptop with Ubuntu on it, that's why there are no drivers for Linux on the site. You will have to go the Ubuntu forums and find help there. I have tried unusual versions of Linux and I think I have always problems with wireless technology or something else. I blocked most of what matters to me. You know how most Linux forums will tell you that you do not need any antivirus software, etc., because they say Linux is not so sure. Well, look what is happening on the phone side, where Linux has a good market share with phones that use Android. There have been very few cases of viruses and malware is attacking Linux. Remember, everything that Linux security is security by insignificance. So when you get Ubuntu running, do not fail to remember to download the security software for Linux as well.

You probably have no idea why there are problems with malware on Android phones. BFUs install unofficial software without support from unofficial basis. Linux is secure because most software is in the protected source server software. You as well need to enter your username and root password to install any software that fix the malware manually. I have no idea how Android, but I'm sure if you use these phones with intelligence, you should have no problem. I would not trust an Android phone myself. I do not know who installed the system, which has access to it and I'm pretty sure Google has access to all Android phones alone.

I checked the model and as far as I can say is the same as mine, unless you have an Intel chip card and Wi-Fi RA. I have an Atheros, and it worked fine. I downloaded the RA driver just to see what it was. I'm not sure how to install it, however. Usually, I just click on a file and it is installed. However, I would go to the Ubuntu repository and find a driver first. Also, if you’re Wi-Fi enabled, the function key.

It is a problem with Ralink Wi-Fi cards on Linux and Windows as well. Ralink rt3090 and I had a lost connection by chance in the two operating systems (Linux and Windows). So I changed the Wi-Fi combo card Broacom 4313. First, download the service manual for your laptop and find out what other cards are compatible Wi-Fi for your laptop and change the Ralink card. Ralink has to work another 10 years for making a good Wi-Fi card. I do not know how HP can install these components wrong.

Well, I have the laptop for $ 380 and everything works fine with Ubuntu 11.04/Unity, but am afraid of what's inside. Certainly Win7 dual boot. Well, I have the ability, anyway. I had to delete the recovery partition to make room because HP uses 4 partitions available. (I've done DVD backup first.) Then I could make my logical partitions. You can too boot Mint and Bodhi. So I would suggest you take help from HP if the problem persists.