Thread: Upgrade the CPU and GPU of dell alienware M15x

Upgrade the CPU and GPU of dell alienware M15x

I was using a very good machine that’s dell alienware M15x from last few months but it seems that the parts that it has Is of no use, because the machine is working too slow thus I have decided to update the major parts that’s the CPU and I like to play game more thus the GPU off course, so need some recommendation for that, like which one shall I prefer, and the most important fear factor is like, if suppose I do this up gradation, so will it void Dell's warranty?

Re: Upgrade the CPU and GPU of dell alienware M15x

Very sadly I have to say that, yeah you’ll lose the warranty as soon as you upgrade any hardware in your machine, but the good news is like that whatever the hardware that you upgrade, for that you’ll get warranty period for sure. And the most important thing is the laptop warranty simply applies to the parts that we formerly dispatch and will not be canceled by added parts, and as soon as you add any part they have their own warranty.

As the extent to I know we can upgrade only the core parts that’s the CPU, Hard drive and the RAM only, but I am not sure about the GPU, because one of my friend has the same machine and he has tried to contact the dell for this and they have said big No for up gradation of the GPU, but still I would suggest you that you should contact them also for this, as they might have added this functionality.

I think you should upgrade the memory and the CPU for your machine as I have done the same, because the GPU that they have provided has enough capability to support all the latest game and the programs, but and after upgrading the CPU and the RAM you’ll get benefits in speed also. And I think you can get any of the Intel core processor that’s I series, I am not sure like till which processor the laptop supports actually, you must have to inquire about that.

I am mentioning some of the name of the CPU that you can get for your machine, and you have to choose it according to your budget. The machine supports the below mentioned CPU’s such as,

Intel Core i3-350M 2.26GHz
    Intel Core i5-540M 2.53GHz

According to me you should get it from these if you are willing to spent some more amount behind this, this are my recommendation.

Intel Core i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz
    Intel Core i7 840QM Quad Core Processor, 1.86GHz
    Intel Core i7 940XM Quad Core Processor, 2.13GHz

Thanks guys for your support, and in fact I have also contacted the dell for this an they also told me the same thing like we cannot upgrade the graphic card in the laptop, but somehow after installing this mentioned hardware will I get some improvement in the performance, and if suppose I decided to upgrade any of the hardware, then from where shall I get the newer one, from the dell itself or we can get it on our own also? Which is the best option.

According to me you should send it to dell support center only for up gradation, and I think you might void the warranty also, but still you’ll get the warranty for the new hardware that you are getting, and the major advantage is like if anything went wrong then they will surely help you out of this, but if you got that hardware from any other source then it is like you are completely going away from the dell, all the responsibility you have to take about the machine. so according to me the best option would be to send it to dell only, and off course after installing this new parts you’ll notice numerous improvements in the speed also.