Thread: Does coil replace can fix the backlight issue of iphone 3gs

Does coil replace can fix the backlight issue of iphone 3gs

I have a iPhone 3gs with me and its screne is cracked and I am trying to fix it. I actually bought the iPhone 3G screen and not the 3GS screen and realized that it was not working when I switched on the phone. I was wondering if I had shorted something when trying to fit the wrong screen. i have read from many places that this problem happens if the backlight coil is damaged but I dont know how to change it. So if anyone knows how to solve this issue then I am all ears. Thanks

Re: Does coil replace can fix the backlight issue of iphone 3gs

You will have to clean the connection on the board and lcd flex with a stiff toothbrush and alcohol which doesnt come for cheap price. You can go to any store and get the 91%+ alcohol but not the 70% stuff and then clean the stuffs from inside. If this still doesnt work then your lcd screen might be shorted out, you will have to replace the LCD then, there is no option left for you.

Re: Does coil replace can fix the backlight issue of iphone 3gs

You will have to check both the connectors for the LCD and the motherboard LCD connector. Just clean and resolder the joins if there is any kind of corrosion, if it still doesnt work then change the LCD. But if still it wont work then wash the board and use ultra sound cleaning device or you can try to reheat or try to change the coils on the board. You can take the coil out by using a plastic weller and heat chip for about 450 degree and it will come off and then resolder it.

I am also using an iPhone 3gs phone and there is no backlight in this device. I have attempted to swap out LCD but still there is no change. After turning the phone for the first time, the backlight works for few seconds but then it will not turn on again. I have read that we need a new 6R8 coil for the motherboard. Can anyone tell me how difficult is it to put the new coil on the motherboard of an iPhone?