Thread: Searching on gmail with no internet connection on my android

Searching on gmail with no internet connection on my android

At any time I am with no internet on my phone and if I desire to look for some text within the existing mails that I observe inside the gmail app, it is not able ot search that. Whenever I do that then it shows me the message that 'No Connection' and it is having a Retry button. Is it over of an anticipation to search inside the current emails I observe within the gmail app. It need not search whole gmail that is lying on the server. Do you any idea that how can I overcome this problem?

re: Searching on gmail with no internet connection on my android

I would like to tell you that the Gmail app is just a "view" for your emails detained on the GMAIL foremost server; your emails are not in fact downloaded within your phone memory therefore you are not able to search that "offline". This is how the app be able to synch through the main gmail account devoid of using enormous amounts of memory. I hope that this much information is enough for you to get the idea that why this is happening to me.

Thank you very much for the reply. But I would like to ask that if the mails are not really 'downloaded' in the phone then how is it that I am capable to observe the emails and contents of that (but just the text) while offline. I encompass previous 60 days of emails synced on phone and can observe every the emails content. From where this is coming? I just wish to search inside those emails.

Gmail Labs is a local cache, to some extent so you can observe some "offline". It was initially designed to permit you to using the service if the signal is removed in mid-email, etc. If you have offline should be able to "search" using the "Search" menu (but is likely to only be able to find the caches in your phone instead of your entire electronic record)?

I do not think that you can search for emails that are stored within cache. My opinion is that the search function takes your search term and passes it to the Google servers. The current search is done server side. There is no connection Gmail search. You will notice that if you go into the Google search application to search and browse options, there is no option to allow search Gmail or emails.

Re: Searching on gmail with no internet connection on my android

There is an option to search for 'E' in the list of search items Search settings, but seems to look for POP mail, etc. As you rightly said, if we are offline, we cannot look gmails. This does not help, especially when we are given the freedom to set the number of days of emails or cache synchronization. Is there somewhere I can raise this as a request? Someone must have already noticed this? Google can search the cache and you can always say "to get more results, go online."