Thread: What are the effects of environment on Motorola Droid 2?

What are the effects of environment on Motorola Droid 2?

I am interested in using my Droid2 on my bike. I bought a Ram mount Aquabox and to keep it protected from the elements, outdoor kit and a USB cable to power 3BRPowersports it. The installation looks good and seems to work, but there are some problems, of course. First is the bike vibrates, but the RAM mounts and cushions Aquabox than an instant "buzz." I dare not use the word vibe because everyone gets locked in the announcement feature soundless and has difficulty getting to my question:
    What is the tolerance limits of the phone to vibration transmitted through a mounting system? I do not think quite smooth animated movement to physical damage, but I can be wrong. What worries me is what makes the movement sensors, accelerometer, and how it affects the functions.

Re: What are the effects of environment on Motorola Droid 2?

My first inclination is that the sensors do not "overload" of anything. Once they reach the maximum extent that it is. All we are doing is to return either a set of numbers or a series of tensions on the computer to interpret. However, I am concerned that the extreme vibrations on a motorcycle could do damage to things like the battery contacts or connectors of the ribbon cable inside. Basically anywhere that links it to something else, either permanently or by momentary pressure or friction is a potential point of failure.

Vibration for the majority part is one of the worst rivals of any electronic or mechanical device. Generally the higher the frequency of vibration, the more potentially devastating the effect. The same holds true for the strength, though at very low frequencies (below the range of hearing, i.e. < 20Hz), even intense motion is typically not a deal killer for equipment with such low mass, though it may make a human or animal disgusted, similar to a boat on waves. It could also cause surface mounted components to vibrate loose, since the solder that grasp them on and makes the electrical connection is inflexible, and will crack before it bends under most conditions.

I would suggest that the phone filling between blocks of low density polyethylene foam (such as the type used in mattresses and seat cushions), which almost completely cancel out any high frequency vibrations. I'm not so familiar with the RAM accumulate or Aquabox it, but I'll take your word that you do a good job of canceling most of the vibrations, but the "buzz" statement concerns me most. Even a slight "buzz" type of vibration can cause eventual failure.

By describing a rumor indicates a high enough frequency to be audible, so it is a good candidate to give stress on the rigid parts of the phone such as the motherboard. This could cause stress for forming microscopic fractures in the Council itself, and finally through the tear marks on the board to interrupt the flow of electricity. It could also cause the surface mount components to vibrate loose as the solder that holds and makes the electrical connection is inflexible, and will break before it bends in most conditions. If the vibration can break a weld in steel can certainly do damage to the welding of copper. Also as mentioned above there are ample of connectors are the connectors of internal friction and any of them could come loose from vibration.

There is increased risk of failure with parts such as the slider as it is a mechanical device and a connection point between two separate chassis. The vibrations are present both direct threats and since there are basically two separate physical hardware chassis, the harmonic vibrations that could be established between the two, like the sound you hear from the car body panels hum and noise when the People play loud subwoofers in cars. The high frequency vibrations coming from the metal panels on strike itself is actually more harmful things such as mounting hardware and other components fixed rigidly to the low-frequency vibrations of the subwoofer itself, which is the catalyst.

I am not a Motorola engineer, but I identify with you the experiences of a friend with his new Droid on his motorcycle. He had no problems to talk of apart from the overheating of the phone experience from time to time. No long-term damage to your phone as his last report to me. You seem to be better equipped to use the phone on a motorcycle in its facility, which was mostly of his own labor. Having said all this, the use of the motorcycle of a smart phone will take its toll over time, even in the best cases. Despite the vibration and physical problems, always have the moisture, which, depending on where you live may seem to penetrate almost anything.