Thread: Does anyone is planning to update android 2.6 Gingerbread on Motorola droid

Does anyone is planning to update android 2.6 Gingerbread on Motorola droid

Well in was thinking that is Motorola is planning to upgrade its models to 2.6 Gingerbread. The reason I am asking is that Droid has got old version of android and now-a-days latest version such as froyo and gingerbread are released. So it’s obvious that no one is going to purchase old version of android phones. So those who have such old models, their OS should be upgraded to latest version. Thus let’s hope that Motorola will upgrade that include Android 2.3 OS Gingerbread on the original droid?

Re: Does anyone is planning to update android 2.6 Gingerbread on Motorola droid

At this point, no one knows whether or not the Droid1 will get 2.3 or not. Although no one buys such old version android phones and now-a-days latest version has also been released. You will just have to cross your fingers and hope for now. Motorola and/or Verizon are not saying which phones are getting upgraded. Well not sure whether Motorola will bring any updates or not but purchasing new phone is the good option.

Well I don’t want to start the rumor once again here, but the representative at the Verizon store the other day was felt that the Droid 1 would update again taken with a grain of salt because I've been in the Verizon store before and seem to be misinformed about a lot of things that happen and do not value this as a reputable source. So do not think there will be an update for Droids. We can only hope for this.

Let's face it. Unless the root of your phone will not be an official version of Moto vzw or gingerbread. For my part, have ceased to hold his breath, and I'll switch to another phone as soon as my contract ends. The proof is in the lack of a real answer from anyone in regard to our questions. Gingerbread has been out for numerous months, and I do not think we do not want this update. I had thought that Motorola had changed his way with the introduction of Android phones series and really enjoyed the discussions with my original Droid and 2 when I bought them. However, since the division of Moto have skirted the questions constantly and did not provide more than vague responses.

D1 has a bootloader open for what it's worth. As for the official updates, a couple of updates Eclair, Froyo a couple of updates in less than 2 years not the support of all evil. Sorry, but like the G1, there comes a point where hardware upgrades you make a bad investment, if it can run or not. I can sympathize with the X and D2 owners complain about the implementation GB, but I honestly think its a little high expectation for the D1. And the roots of my X were a lot easier than my Bolt. If you truly want GB, your alternatives are to upgrade to a more current device, or root and update the operating system itself, with the knowledge that they will lose what little security may be left. However, Moto is being unreasonable for not updating technology two years of age free.

From what I heard, all development for the OG Droid was ceased a number of months ago. This makes sense, since the device has been measured "End of Life" for quite some time now. They need those developers to develop software updates for current devices. As you people know that Droid is one of the old models then I don’t think so that Motorola will approve an update to this phone as more cheap with latest android version phones are available in the market so people won’t be spending more funds behind upgrading the phone.

As per my knowledge, Gingerbread is designed for devices with more than 256MB of system RAM. Since the OG Droid will never have more than 256MB, performance would never be optimal, especially when it comes to multipurpose applications. Sure, there are illegal ports of Gingerbread for the Droid, but for the most part performance is marginal. At the end of the day, there is no way that Gingerbread is going to provide a user understanding on the Droid that is improved than what Froyo gives. And no company is going to intentionally release an "update" that reduces the overall user occurrence.