Thread: Compaq Presario 2500 turns off when hard disk is connected

Compaq Presario 2500 turns off when hard disk is connected

I am using Compaq Presario laptop model no. 2500. Recently I am facing a problem with my laptop; the issue is that when I try to install the windows XP operating system, then laptop turns off suddenly within few seconds. Then I realized that problem is occurring when hard drive is connected, because when I remove it then it proceeds well. So please make me know what is happening with my laptop, provide me some solutions on it.

Re: Compaq Presario 2500 turns off when hard disk is connected

Uncase the laptop and remove the RAM of their relevant slots. Laptop will not boot if RAM memory is not accessible. So dirt free the terminals of the RAM and replace in their respective slots. See if the system starts. If you have several RAM chips, try turning the laptop with a RAM module one at a time. If RAM module is defective, then system starts to discard the RAM chip and therefore laptop shuts immediately.

I think that there would be some wrong setting which is giving you such problem. When you attach your hard disk to laptop then if you are able to get the BIOS then go to the setup and then check for these settings. If you don’t obtain the BIOS then just remove the hard drive and now as you said with this situation you are getting it, then load the system defaults on it. I believe that this thing would solve this problem.

What I think here is that your hard drive would be faulty. I doubt this one; there also may be the connector issue in it. You should try attaching it some other port if available. As you told that your laptop turns off, I am confused here. If here the laptop is restarting then there must be problem with its power supply. So test it if you are able to do it, in case of shutdown there may be some other problem also.

Several things you can do here in this case. As you are setting up windows operating system, so first verify that the boot order is set to your CD/DVD drive; then even the problem is there then make an effort to install some other operating system like Ubuntu, Mac. Also to test with power issue you shall try this process by plugging it to direct AC power or moreover replace the battery or clean the existing one. Hope this solves the problem of yours.

For this type of questions that many will suggest that it is necessary to update the BIOS to the latest version. Personally, I feel to update the BIOS as it is the most productive option at this time. I am saying this because if the laptop is running the latest version of the BIOS then there will be no trouble. So upgrade to get the firmware of the system BIOS, I guess following this laptop will start properly when you attempt to install OS you desire.

I believe that you would have confirmed that all the elements of laptop are properly fixed, also the cables and connectors. I suggest you phone Compaq and tell the subject that will certainly help with this issue and if it is a major issue, then I would refer you to a service center and your laptop would be safe handle without any risk for, but make sure you have backed up your important data before sending it to them because they are responsible for the data.