Thread: Can I use my iPad charger to charge my iPhone 4?

Can I use my iPad charger to charge my iPhone 4?

I have brought my new Apple iPhone 4 last week. I was previously having my Apple iPad. I would like to ask that, can I use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone 4. As I am having both my iPhone and an iPad. I don’t think it may have any issue as I have seen that iPhone takes fewer watts than what the iPad charger provides. But still I would like to confirm that can I use the iPad charger for both my iPad and iPhone? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can I use my iPad charger to charge my iPhone 4?

I don’t think that the idea of charging your iPhone with your iPad charger is good. As the iPad charger provides more charging than what is required by the iPhone. Because one of my friends uses Macbook and I use Macbook air, when he tries to charge his Macbook, I see that the charger gets completely heated up. Because I am having the charger of 45W and he is having of something around 60W. So better use the charger that has come with your iPhone 4.

I don’t think that it will cause any harm. It is completely safe to charge your iPhone with your iPad charger. Because the iPad has the energy efficiency of 5V with 2Amp and the iPhone has the energy efficiency of 5V with 1Amp. So when you try to charge your iPhone with your iPad charger then, iPhone will just take the required amount of energy that is of 1Amp to get charged. But I don’t think that it will get charged must faster. Yes but it does not cause any harm to do the charging.

Why would you like to make an experiment of using the other devices charger? If you are provide with the iPhone charger then just use the one that has come with it. I don’t think that unless the Apple announces that you can use the chargers for multiple devices you should not try to use them. As it would cause a great damage to your iPhone as the iPad has a larger battery than iPhone, so the charger for iPad would be definitely using more energy to charge it.

I am having iPad and the touch 4G. Last night I tried to charge my touch 4G with the charger of iPad. The iPad charger produces the maximum of 10V. I found that I was my touch was getting charged properly without any issues, but it seems that it was charging normally as we charge it with a USB charger. As it worked for me I gave the charger to one of my friend as he was using iPhone 4 and it seems that it was working well for his iPhone 4.

It will surely not harm you if you are trying to use the iPad charger to charge the iPhone, as your iPhone will only get the required amount of energy that it wants to get charged. As I too have used the same charger to charge my iPod touch or iphone with no harm. Also if you are using the Windows system, then Asus has launched the “Asus Ai Charger” that allows you to charge everything using a simple USB charger.

As you know that both iPhone and iPad has the same capacity of the 5V, they consume the same amount of power. If any of them is providing you with the higher voltage, then it might cause harm to your device. Since the power required for iPhone is lesser than the iPad, I don’t think that it may cause any harm to your iPhone. You can use it without any hesitation. But you will find that changing the charger will not help you to charge it faster.