Thread: Best ever 2.5" Laptop HDD

Best ever 2.5" Laptop HDD

Hi all, I am posting this thread here because I would like to know that which is the fastest laptop hard drives. Actually, I am not thinking to get the SDD. I really do not have that much of money to buy that just for 160GB HDD. So I want you people to give me suggestion for this so that it will be easier for me to get the answer. Please replays early as possible. I am waiting for the replies. Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Best ever 2.5" Laptop HDD

I wish to inform you that this hard drive can in fact totally freeze at time and create a sound which is very much similar to the sound you find if you bang your laptop DVD drive that is closed. When this occurs my HDD hangs for a time of and it was around 2 seconds. The complete computer with the mouse be able to stop entirely in anticipation that the sound stops. It sounds similar to the HDD is stalling otherwise getting stuck otherwise something like that. This can occur any time as of one time in a week.

My suggestion to you is to go for the Scorpio black. This is cheaper as compared to others. You will get that easily around $90 from ebay. So you can take a look at this and I think that this one will be perfect for you. Other than this, you can also take a look at Seagate's Momentus XT. It is a bit more costly as compared to Scorpio black but can also be considered as one of the good option for you. I hope you will get more suggestions on this later.

I think that I should tell you this. I purchased the MomentusXT 500 GB by means of my E6410 and frankly speaking that I am totally disappointed with it. But the HDTune benchmarks were fine but I am not able to get the advantage of the hybrid SSD/HDD drive at all sincerely. It felt as reactive as my 640 GB Scorpio Blue within my D620. Although I am not having the Scorpio Black 500 GB but I am having 320 GB and I can say that this is impressive drive.

According to me XT is only superior for the feel-good factor at the start (not sure of his own behavior as characteristic of SSD sans hard drive). The only difference between the NAND 4 GB and 4 GB of RAM to say (as a cache of Windows to use) is that RAM is volatile and is lost at every reboot (or hibernate). If restarts frequently then 4GB NAND will soon lose its value. An additional 4GB RAM exactly serve the similar reason (and faster too). I have the black, but I do not like the noise level, that conversely is a very individual thing.

The XT just put the most used bits of files in the fastest bit of memory can be. You know how different units have 8 or 16 MB of cache? You can consider the 4 GB SSD like a cache layer. It is not as fast as the RAM cache 8/16MB but still especially quicker as compared to rotating disk. It's the same way a CPU works with L1, L2 and L3 cache sometimes. Each one is slower but larger than the level closest to the CPU, but still significantly improves the speed because it is faster than the top level and reduces the number of times the CPU has to go all the way to the memory principal exchange or to get what you need.

What it does is get one of these units screaming fast, and loaded with things that really matter load times (operating system, applications, games). For big media, where the speed does not matter (videos, photos, music, etc), get a large external USB hard economic unit, and keep those things in that country. It is more expensive and more cumbersome than a single large 500GB hard drive that you just put in your system and forget, but the only way to get a monumental boost in the performance of your storage device.

There are limits to the capacity of an SSD. Realistically, most SSD can buy is a 240 GB SSD for about $ 400. Meanwhile, you can easily find mechanical hard drives ranging up to 500 GB or 750 GB quite easily. The most common way around this problem is to use an external USB drive high capacity for the content you really eat space and does not depend on the speed (eg photos, videos, music, etc), and only to put up with the inconvenience of carrying around another unit.

I'm not certain that an SSD will make the kind of improvement I want. Basically I want to play AOC (Age of Conan) is a pretty big game, 34Gb and comes in 2 DVD. So an SSD is likely that more than half the load times, but that's not really "bothers" me. Load times are good, is that the GAL is a real pain in the graphs, the delay. You can only buy a 500 GB Scorpio black and just be happy with that. The hard drive I have now is that scares me half to death with all its freezing at random, even when I have not touched the computer in an hour I can just hear the monster hard drive.