Thread: Macbook Pro 13 vs Lenovo X220 which one you would go for?

Macbook Pro 13 vs Lenovo X220 which one you would go for?

Hello there! I am bit confused about what to buy or what not to. Till now I had made up mind to purchase the Macbook Pro 1. But my mind changed when my one of the friend suggested for the Lenovo X220. Now my mind is poking me to go for the Lenovo X220. But still I want to get the opinion form you all people. I am going to use it for my home and business purpose. And I want strong Graphic card. Please suggest.

Re: Macbook Pro 13 vs Lenovo X220 which one you would go for?

I think if you are looking for the nice and wonderful trackpad, then I will only suggest going for the MacBook Pro 13. Because it always had many plus points which you should go for. I have it and I am telling you if you want the strong graphics and want to use for normal purpose then you should go for only the MBP(MacBook Pro 13). Lenovo is also fine but it will it is like a small laptop with small keypad.

Lenovo x220 has some advantages and some disadvantage. It has small size and easy to handle while the MacBook Pro is big enough to handle. Lenovo is also having the good battery life i.e it has the 9 cells. But MBP is good and it has far better built then Lenovo. It has the ISP screen and it has the good enough weight. So its apone you bo0th are good and affordable. So you can purchase any of it without and issue.

optical drive are not actually much of a issue except you are burning the disk. I also advise the MacBook Pro. You can get a slight fun in the majority of the IDE and come with a Mac version. If you go with the mac I would advise that duel boot. The battery will be a hit when you will be having windows. The screen are high-quality. And it is much better than x220. So you can go for the MacBook as it is fantastic over Lenovo.

I would go for the Lenovo X220. Because of the following reasons.
    • Built quality has the plus point over macBook.
    • Best notebook screen ever.
    • Lighter in weight
    • Less costly
    • Best keyboard
    • You can add some graphic card.

I have both the systems and I love them, but I had the MacBook Pro for 2 yrs, I also had the Lenovo x220 for two weeks with i7, 8 GB of RAM and SSD 128, and the screen is just awesome. It boos up in 20 seconds flat and has like that of the iPad2. Very calm, brilliant screen, and Tpads contain always had the most excellent keyboards. I think it weigh around 3 pounds, and I got 7 hours of battery life. So go for it

In my estimation, it should get the Lenovo. Keyboard better, improved battery life (compared to Windows on the MacBook Pro), best presentation, lighter, more durable (the lock on my MBP is nothing compared with building Thinkpad), and saves a lot of money, too. So ultimately you have to decide what to do and what no to do because from the replies you can make out that both are good. So now you only decide.

I got seduced by IPS screen and long battery life of X220, and got one last fall. I also have 15" MBP, so I can compare both machines.

The idea was to use the X220 as my travel machine, backing up my images for SD cards, and doing my editing and adjusting in Aperture on MBP.

The good:

If you do a lot of typing, keyboard on x220 is superb. I love the feel of it, for me it is better than MBP 15". I also like plastic hand rests - in countries where power is not grounded, I kept getting slight shocks on my old MBP 15". I thought my computer was broken, but in India that's how things can be. Plastic hand rests are a plus for me.

Screen on X220 is excellent. Colors are vivid, the surface is matte (reflections drive me crazy in well lit environments). Could be higher resolution though - trying to display Lightroom with all its windows on the screen doesn't leave too much space for the images.

The bad:

Trackpad sucks big time. The surface has dimples on it, and my finger tends to slip now and then, but you can forget smooth scrolling in a browser (or in Lightroom). Although I can not "swipe" back the page, there are dedicated "back" and "forward" buttons above to the arrow keys. They work. Eraser controller is also not the greatest, but would work in a pinch for pulling up menus and stuff. It is not too bad for scrolling though.

It came with 9 cell battery which sticks out from the computer and makes the design look like grafted frankenstein. The battery does last like 6-8h though, which is not bad, but that bulge... I think about getting 4 cell battery just to avoid the bulge (and lighten the weight). I am not to far from power anyways.

Applications: I got so used to elegance, speed and quality of Aperture that Lighroom (the output is good, but the interface (even with borrowing from Aperture) still feels kludgy), Capture One (why my skies are purple?). I guess I realized that if I am going to carry extra 4LB+ of computer, it better be more than just a digital wallet.

If I had to make the decision again, I should have gotten an 11" MB Air. Air is just half the size and weight, and when traveling that matters a lot. Screen is also good enough (although not as nice as X220 matte). Also, it runs Aperture, my main editing program. The main problems of Air are 4GB ram limit and glossy screen. Keyboard is fine - I checked it out at apple store.

What I really wish for?

MBA size & trackpad, X220 keyboard and plastic hand rests, 2X resolution screen (iPad3 has spoiled me). And no more windows please, I just like OSX better.

What will I do?

I will try to dual boot X220 into an OSX via TonyMacx86. If that is successful, then I will get a smaller 4 cell battery and work with the limits of the machine. I might add a magic trackpad once I got OSX going too.

In couple weeks apple might announce new MacBooks, so I am staying put until then. X220, within limits of its hardware is a pretty good machine, just not as little as they are getting to be. When you talking about the weight, less is more.