Thread: Does SIM card work on CR – 48 as well as on newer models

Does SIM card work on CR – 48 as well as on newer models

Recently I heard about chromium laptops of Google and so I purchased Cr – 48 for me. I have observed its slots and to know more I read the manual and then I understood all of them. One unique one I found was SIM card slot; I just want to know whether it works. Also I have heard that there are newer models, so are this SIM card slot working on these newer models. Hope I acquire more information from here and probably use the same on my Chromebook.

Re: Does SIM card work on CR – 48 as well as on newer models

The Chromebook are having SIM slot so that you can plug in the SIM card on this slot. This is one of the finest features of Chromebooks. First is that it runs new chrome operating system, where in you access all web services and also store all your data over cloud. Thus these Chromebooks are more efficient to use, and giving it SIM slots makes it more important. So we can access every web service in Chromebooks through SIM card.

In order to check it, you have to insert SIM card in that slot. For this you will have to remove the battery so that you will find the slot. When you insert the SIM card then you can access all web services on your Chromebook using mobile connectivity. It you roam outside and don’t have internet connection, then your Chromebook would not be useful at that time. Thus Google discarded this drawback and provided SIM card module, so one can use 3G or GSM connectivity in order to access every service.

In order to work with 3G or GSM connectivity, you need to configure your Chromebook for developer mode by pressing ctrl + alt + T at the time of booting. Just then you will get a terminal where you need to get a shell by typing “shell”. There you have to write modern_set_carrier “Generic UMTS”. Then just quit all the things by writing exit command. Thus after this you will be able to use 3G service on your Chromebook, whenever you want.

This SIM modules are useful if you are mobile somewhere. Also if you are having limited internet usage and you are having unlimited internet connection from your provider then most probably you can use your SIM card to access any particular service. Also you can tether any device so that you can get the internet connection on your Chromebook. 3G connectivity is quite smarter as it provides better connectivity than normal EDGE, or GPRS.

Here there are two major mobile operators in my area i.e. AT&T and Verizon. Both of these providers offer services, but the problem is that somewhere the service of one is weaker and on other side at other end, one is giving worst service. But I use both of these providers service. So I just wanted to know that is there anything which allows me to switch to particular operator when I want. Basically I am looking for such kind of switch.

Well this was the thing which even I wanted, but unfortunately there is not such system yet available with Chromebooks. I have found many of them saying that whenever network of one provider is not available then they could use the service of other provider. We can switch to nay operator we want, but not as easy like using a switch. For this we need to perform the detail steps as mentioned in above posts. You will just have to change the command in shell and use it of the operator you are using.