Thread: Want to Upgrade RAM on Lenovo ThinkPad T500

Want to Upgrade RAM on Lenovo ThinkPad T500

I am having Lenovo ThinkPad T500 laptop which is equipped with Intel core2duo processor, and 2x2GB of RAM memory. As I use the huge applications like SharePoint 2010 so I think I would upgrade the RAM of my laptop which is running windows server 2008. But I want to know how much size of RAM my laptop supports and even which RAM I should buy; I also don’t know how many RAM slots my laptop is having. So please provide me solution for the same.

Re: Want to Upgrade RAM on Lenovo ThinkPad T500

Well I would like to help you on the same. Basically your ThinkPad is having two RAM slots. As you are having two RAM of 2 GB, thus all your RAM slots are occupied. So as you want to upgrade to more RAM so you have to remove your existing RAM. If you take a 4GB RAM then you will have to remove one of the existing 2 GB RAM from your laptop and fix this 4GB module there. Thus your laptop would have more RAM, yes now your 2 GB RAM would be useless for you.

Definitely you are running heavy applications on your laptop, so it is obvious that if you upgrade the RAM memory then your laptop would give you better performance. I have found that your laptop can support the maximum of 8 GB of total RAM memory. So if you are planning to go for that maximum memory then you will have to remove the entire existing RAM and then you have to take couple of 4GB RAM on your laptop and enjoy the high performance.

When you go for purchasing the RAM then just check that you take a DDR3 RAM. There is a important thing to know that there are various RAM module available and on your laptop you have to use DDR3 channel module. By mistake if you take DDR2 or some other RAM then it would not get fitted on your laptop. This is because particular RAM is compatible with some memory slot and this is predesigned on your motherboard, so you cannot even change that and go for some other RAM module.

When you are ready to upgrade the RAM, then definitely in order to achieve good performance you should go for best RAM Company. According to me if you purchase Kingston RAM then it would be excellent, I am using the Kingston RAM and even many of my friends use it because we all think that it provides better performance and even with good speed, along with high frequency clock rate. So just go with it and look for some affordable RAM stick of that company

As you choose best RAM for your laptop then you just have to insert in on your laptop. For this you have to unscrew your laptop and then remove the back cover, thus you would see your RAM sticks, so just remove your existing sticks and put them at safe side as you won’t need it now. Now you have to attach the newly purchased sticks, just make sure that it is fitted properly. Thus after this you will get more memory on your laptop, so just check in BIOS whether all RAM memory is properly detected.

To get simpler, you should take careful steps when you try to upgrade the RAM on your laptop. I would also suggest that when you buy RAM then purchase it of 1066 MHz clock frequency. In this laptop you would not find more difference even if you go for 1333 MHz because if you go for it then it gets reduce to the 1066 and thus you would get disappointed so better is you initially have 1066 MHz RAM stick so that you don’t even invest more money on it.