Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Error message E66, while updating Xbox

Portable Devices

Old 10-06-2011

Error message E66, while updating Xbox

I own the xbox 360 original version, The assemble date is 21-june-2007, and I have been very loyal to their all the services, but recently I am having dilemma is that when I try to attach to xbox live with my gamertag, then it says that I must have to update my xbox. And I did that also, but after restarting the console I got the error code E66, contact your live support. But I am not getting what is the actual problem, please help me with this. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2011

Re: Error message E66, while updating Xbox

This is kind of problem occurs while we play through the duplicate copies of the game, thus I just want to ask you that are you using such a copy, if yes, then let me tell you that you should not use such a media, as this is harmful for the console also, because whenever we run such a CD we it damages the lens, which is inside the console, and we got such a message.
Old 10-06-2011

I would suggest you that you should contact their customer support as they would really going to help you, because I think you have manually updated the services, and in that only I think you have made mistake thus you are getting this error message, thus I would suggest you that try to update it again, and follow the proper steps, or else you?ll get the same error code. If you want you?ll get the proper guidance from their website, they have step by step procedure.
Old 10-06-2011

See I have seen many people for the same problem, as they are having these hardware problem after updating the console, and I would like to tell that this kind of error occurs due to probably a subject to compatibility, or some combination's of DVD drives and customized firmware?s. the solution to this glitch is very simple, as first of all you have to install the whole OS again for the console, and strongly recommend you that don?t use the pirated DVD?s for playing games.
Old 10-06-2011

It seems that you have done this manually, and I think you might have done some mistake in that, thus first of all I would suggest you that you should try to contact, rather I would say not try, but you must contact the customer center for the mentioned issue, because they will solve this problem for sure and for free of cost. And don?t worry about the gamertag because as far as I know they do NOT ban the console.
Old 10-06-2011

Hey thanks guys for the prompt replies, but I would say, I haven?t used any such pirated DVD or any such media for playing the game. Or my consoles is been modified ever, or I have never been sent in for repair, I always pay for the all the games that I play, in fact for the xbox live also, but still I am pursuing the same problem, don?t know what to do next as I am very frustrated with all the things that is happened to me form last these days.
Old 10-06-2011

ThumbsUp Re: Error message E66, while updating Xbox

You are getting E66 error because the new update thinks your Xbox was flashed/modified to play pirated games. You can try calling Support but they will not help you because for them E66 error = pirate getting caught, period. I had this happen too even though I had not modified my Xbox in any way. I researched a lot and I can tell you the 3 options you have as of now. 1 being easiest, 3 being toughest.

1) Sell your Xbox on craigslist or ebay and buy another one that is Live capable. There are a lot of people out there who will buy Xboxs and flash them to play pirated games. Most of them stay offline to avoid getting caught which these days is going to be necessary since Microsoft is taking heavy anti-piracy measures. They are your customers. Then buy another one from craigslist or ebay as long as you know how to shop at such places and get things checked for Live connectivity before you pay. That's what I did.

2) Go illegal and flash your Xbox with Original Firmware and then update. Thats the only possible solution right now and it has worked for a lot of people... even for the pirates. E66 error also happens if the new update detects that your DVD drive is not the one your Xbox orignally shipped with.

If you had red rings etc and got your Xbox repaired locally then its possible the repair guy replaced the drive with another brand and "spoofed" it to look like original one by uploading different firmware. This is considered illegal as long as MS didn't do it. If MS repaired it you can send it in for repair and if they find it legit, they might give you a brand new Xbox slim as a replacement. This happened to a few people.

If MS did not repair it, no point sending it in. Check your local craigslist if someone can flash your Xbox to original firmware and get it to update. You dont pay them unless it works. There's a HUGE risk of getting banned from Live for doing such a thing. But I know it works.

3) Hold on to your Xbox and play games offline for now. May be MS will receive enough complaints and they will release another update to fix the problem. May be they will ask E66 affected owners to send in their 360s and if found legit will be offered replacement 360 for free. Clearly something is wrong with the new update and MS should take responsibility for it. Its a waiting game but might work out in your favor. In any case give them a call and for the record let them know this happened.

I sold mine today for $100 (old non HDMI) and bought a 360 slim for just $100 on ebay... great deal ha! Haven't read about E66 errors with the slims... only the old 360s that are non HDMI seem to be affected by E66. Slims also dont have a big failure rate like the fat ones so all in all its a better choice. Good luck.

Last edited by alikazi : 10-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2011

I think your Xbox console needs to be repaired and after that you can get ride this issue. To repair your console you need click the below link and on this website make click on the error code that you have encountered and after that go repair your Xbox and then let me know the issue.

click here to repair your console
Old 11-06-2011

See sometimes it happens due to the inappropriate media that you entered, I would like to tell you some quick fix for these, as you can try this, or if suppose you don?t get your issue resolved, I would you must have to contact the customer support without fail. See first of all I would say you should try to clean the lens through the lint free cloth, or you just have to install the new OS in the console, in your case you have to update the current one that you have.
Old 07-11-2011

I have a new Xbox 360. I have connected to Xbox Live using the 1 month free offer. I downloaded the Kinect sports and the Fitness video successfully. However I am unable to play both since the console safety is on and the family settings pass code and the secret question are pre-entered.

The console safety is default in the 'ON' mode. The window for changing this mode doesnt pop up.

I am the adult of the house and cannot change the family settings although I wish and hence unable to use Xbox Live as part of this offer

How can I switch the console safety off?

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , ,