Thread: Is it possible to customize ringtones in HTC HD7

Is it possible to customize ringtones in HTC HD7

My dad recently purchased the all new HTC HD 7 Smartphone which is running the Microsoft Windows Phone 7 Operating System in it. The mobile is amazing. One of the best models I have come across in recent times. I am wishing to change, actually customize the ringtones assigned for different users in my HTC HD7. Does anyone know what I can do to customize ringtones in my Dad’s HTC HD7 mobile? Suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated, so feel free to reply.

Re: Is it possible to customize ringtones in HTC HD7

Sorry to say the news to you, but it is not possible to customize ringtones in Windows Phone 7 running HTC HD7 Smartphone. I am also using the HTC HD7 and it seems to be a very common and popularly asked question among the HD7 users “Can we customize ringtones in HTC HD7?” Being such an expensive mobile phone, it is expected that the device provides the user with all the features, but HD7 have failed to do so in many aspects. So possibly, you won’t be able to customize your ringtones in your HTC HD7.

There is news brewing around that Microsoft will be fixing this issue very soon. Microsoft is planning to introduce few updates for their Windows Phone 7 which would make it possible for the HTC HD7 and other users to easily customize ringtones as they wish to in their devices. So possible, you along with others have to wait for the new updates. Until then use the HD7 as it is provided with some minor issues regarding the ringtones.

I would suggest you to visit the official website of HTC and look upon for some more alternative solutions which could solve your issues. There are certain media files like mp3,WMA etc which can be played in HTC HD7, so you can use them as your ringtone. You can transfer the following media files in your device through Zune software. Search for Zune on internet and download it in your computer system. Attach your device with the help of USB cable or Bluetooth connection and transfer the files in your HTC HD7.

You will be requiring some kind of File Explorer like the TouchExplorer, so that you can copy/paste the WMA file into the right destination folder. After installing the TouchExplorer in my Windows Phone 7 running mobile, I was able to add up dozens of ringtones on my mobile. So, I would also recommend you to give it a try. You can search for the same on Internet or Marketplace and install it in your device. But the only issue is that I am unable to hear the ringtones before assigning them, so what I am doing is, first I assign the particular ringtone, then call up my mobile and hear what ringtone I have assigned in my mobile.

Thank you, guys for posting your suggestions and sharing your information with me. It is seriously a disappointment to miss such an important feature in such an amazing device. As you guys have suggested I am also waiting for a proper fix, till then I planned to give TouchExplorer a try. I downloaded it but I am finding it difficult to install it in my device. How can I properly install the application in my HD7? Also I don’t wish to assign any random ringtone as said by the above user. So I would like to have a solution for the above asked query as well. Thank you.

It is very easy to hear the ringtones before actually assigning them and then checking it out. What you need to do is, while you are viewing the ringtones, you have to tap the small circle/arrow on the left edge of the screen. This will give a preview of the ringtone/alert tone. That’s it. You can use the same feature to play music in your Zune. Just click on the circle/arrow button when you are viewing the media file. It also works the same for your call history, albums/songs etc.

You should make sure that the TouchXplorer you are trying to install in your device is unlocked, before you actually try to use it. You can unlock the TouchXplorer by purchasing a developer’s license from Microsoft. This one license will allow you to unlock three phones. So, if you have got a friend, who is having the similar issue, you can share the expense among yourself and get the license. Also the Windows Phone 7 has got a folder names My Documents\My Ringtones where all the ringtones are stored. You can assign any ringtones to any contact from here.