Thread: Connecting Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop to Sony KDL-32V4000 LCD TV

Connecting Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop to Sony KDL-32V4000 LCD TV

I have been using the Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop from quite a long time. I mainly watch a lot of movies in it. So, I just bought a Sony KDL-32V4000 LCD TV. I want to connect the LCD TV to my laptop for added display and sound. As I don’t have much knowledge of hardware, I am not sure how to make the connection. I tried finding solutions on the internet. I was suggested to use a HDMI cable. I have no idea of what it is and how to make the connection. So, can anyone please suggest me which cable should I use and how can I make the connection?

Re: Connecting Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop to Sony KDL-32V4000 LCD TV

In order to setup a connection, you will require the following cables: HDMI cable/S-Video cable/VGA cable and 3.5 mm to RCA audio cable. Now, follow these instructions to set up a connection from your Sony LCD to your Dell laptop:
    1. Plug one end of the video cable into your laptop. You can use either of the three: HDMI, S-Video or VGA cable, but HDMI provides the best quality.
    2. Now, plug the other end of the video cable into your Sony LCD which has input ports on the side and back of the TV. You should remember the name of that port.
    3. Connect the 3.5 mm to RCA cable from your laptop to your TV (This is to be done only when you do not use a HDMI cable).
    4. Now, connect one end of the 3.5 mm to RCA cable to the headphone jack of your laptop and the other end to the audio input port your TV.
    5. Now switch on your TV and select the video source. Press the input button on the remote until you've reached the video source you connected your laptop to.
    6. Change the video output source on your laptop by pressing “FN” and “F8”.
    Thus, you have successfully connected your laptop with your LCD TV.

There is yet another method to establish a connection from a Dell laptop to a Sony LCD. You will need the following equipments: S-Video cable, Y-adapter with 3.5 mm mini-plug and two RCA-type audio jacks and stereo audio cables. To establish the connection, follow these instructions:
    • Insert one end of the S-Video cable into the S-Video port of the Dell laptop.
    • Insert the other end of the cable to the S-Video input of the Sony LCD.
    • Now, insert the mini-plug on the Y adapter into the headphones jack of the laptop.
    • Connect the white and red plugs on one end of the audio cables to the two jacks on the Y-adapter.
    • Push the plugs on the other ends of the audio cabled into the Audio IN jacks on the Sony LCD.
    • Now finally, turn on your laptop and your TV and press the “input” button on the TV remote until the image from the laptop monitor appears.

I had the same problem of connecting my Dell laptop to my Sony LCD. I tried the above methods of connection. The connection was successfully done, and my TV was receiving the signal. The problem was it was displaying an error message as “Invalid Format”. So, I knew the problem was of the resolution and had to change it. Just go through these steps to change the resolution of your laptop:
    • Click on the Start button, n go to Control Panel.
    • Now, go to Display and click on the Settings tab.
    • Choose the lowest resolution. Now, you should be able to get the picture on your LCD screen.
    • Just remember one thing that, Sony LCD’s do not accept resolution over 1024 x 768 pixels.
    Hope this helps.