Thread: How to fix the fan in Dell Latitude D600 laptop?

How to fix the fan in Dell Latitude D600 laptop?

I had bought a Dell Latitude D600 laptop few years back. As the laptop is quite old, it doesn’t work as fast as it worked earlier when I bought it. There are many other problems with it. But, the main problem is that the fan of my laptop is not working properly. As I work for long hours with the laptop, I use it intensely and regularly for many hours. As a result of that, the fan gets overheated very soon. This also causes the touch pad to become very hot. And I am not able to touch the touch pad because it is so hot. I have to find a solution to fix the fan as soon as possible, before my laptop gets blown away. Can anyone please help me fix the fan?

Re: How to fix the fan in Dell Latitude D600 laptop?

You can follow these instructions to manually fix your fan:
    1. Remove all screws from the bottom of the laptop.
    2. Now lift the switch cover with a small screwdriver and then continue removing the cover with your fingers.
    3. When you remove the switch cover, you can access two screws securing the keyboard. Remove those screws.
    4. Now, lift up the keyboard and access the cable and disconnect the keyboard cable from the motherboard.
    5. Now, you will find three red screws that are securing display images and a yellow screw that is securing the video cable ground. Remove all of them.
    6. Also disconnect the video cable connector from the motherboard.
    7. Now, remove and replace the LCD assembly.
    8. You will find three screws securing the top cover. Remove all of them. Also unplug the touchpad cable from the motherboard.
    9. You have to separate the top cover with your fingers and remove the top assembly completely.
    10. Inside, you will find the fan and the heat sink. You can clean them using compressed air if you want.
    11. If you want to remove and replace the fan, then you have to continue with the laptop disassembly.
    12. You will find four screws securing the heat sink. Remove them and slowly lift and remove the heat sink.
    13. Now, remove the two screws securing the fan and disconnect it from the motherboard.
    14. Replace the cooling fan with a new one and start assembling your laptop.

As you work on the laptop for long hours, it is obvious that the fan might be overheating. And on the other hand, your laptop is quite old as you have mentioned above, so there must be a lot of dust that must have accumulated inside it. In order to keep your laptop running smoothly you have to clean it regularly. You can’t clean your laptop internally, just by wiping it with a just a cloth or something. You need to prevent your laptop from overheating. For this, you need to clean out the vents on the back and bottom of your laptop using a can of compressed air. It will clean the dust and blockage and will prevent your laptop from overheating. I hope this will help your fan from overheating too.

There are possibilities that the laptop gets overheated due to continuous usage. Even pc’s get overheated due to excessive usage. The problem behind the system being overheated is that it doesn’t get enough cooling. The pc requires a considerable amount of space for its assembly, in order that it has enough space to get the cooling that the fan requires. It is the same case with the laptops. They too require some free space where they are placed so that they get the cooling. So, make sure you place your laptop on a flat surface and there is nothing blocking the vents. The vents should be kept in an open space so that they are able to provide enough air for the cooling fan inside the laptop.