Thread: Powering external hard drive for dell Inspiron 530S

Powering external hard drive for dell Inspiron 530S

Hi there I am having a Dell Inspiron 530S with me and now I am thinking to use a Weston Digital portable hard drive in it for my back up of files, but having problems while backup I think that the drive would overload the PSU, I just wanted to know that is there anyone who has tried the same thing on their Inspiron 530S and is it safe to power external drives from the 530S's USB ports or should I provide a separate power supply for my back up drive

Re: Powering external hard drive for dell Inspiron 530S

The Inspiron 530S has a good configuration but it has a USB 2.0 which is less for taking backup for large amount of files so The PCI Express USB 3.0 card ought to work fine in the 530s, as it has a low profile bracket, but the only problem is that In your Inspiron 530S you have USB 3.0 devices to connect to the card. If you are having it then it is ok otherwise you will have to use the same USB 2.0 to transfer your data in it.

One thing you can do is that you can check is your WD is having a support of USB 3.0 in it because now a day’s many hard drives comes with the support of USB 3.0 in it , if it is supporting USB 3.0 then you will have to see that does your Inspiron 530S has a support of USB 3.0 or not if it has a ability to support then you can upgrade the USB of your Inspiron 530S to USB3.0 so you can get a faster speed for transfer without any problem

Normally in all the external hard drive the cables are One is for data and power, the other is just for extra power and the drive will need them both connected. If the drive isn't getting enough power from the USB port, it will not work at all you will have to plug both the cables with it and if you are asking to directly plug the Hard drive to your Inspiron 530S it is not an issue because those devices are made to support it and will work fine in your system. But if you connect just the single data & power connector on your system you may find that the drive doesn't work properly because it can’t ssullpy enough power supply

One solution you can try is that you can install Startek PCI Express SuperSpeed USB 3.0 with that you can increase the the transfer rate to the external drive. In your 530S there is a free power connector in there that you can Molex on the card. With that you will have to get a 900 mA of power per USB port that the card will deliver I alos suggest you that you don’t run stuff on other USb at the same time I've had a long chat with a sales rep. who tells me the card will work fine in the 530S so there is no issue at all you can try to plug it in your 530S with no problem.