Thread: Why is there overheating problem in Vaio S (Sandy Bridge?)

Why is there overheating problem in Vaio S (Sandy Bridge?)

I bought this new Sony VAIO S with sandy bridge core i5 processor, I” thin, 4lbs less weight, backlit kb, docking connector and internal optical drive. The VPCSB11FX/B along with the port replicator and 3yr warranty. Then I found at one of the website that this laptop overheats. The exhaust ventilation is at the back and is covered by the display hinge. And even Sony includes a warning that the laptop should not be used for a long period of time. Then at one of the website I found out that Sony is redesigning the case of the laptop and launching a new laptop in which rest all remains the same. So I want to ask is how long will it take for Sony to redesign the case to correct cooling?

Re: Why is there overheating problem in Vaio S (Sandy Bridge?)

According to me this laptop will also do fine if you take a few precautions like use it on a flat surface and away from direct sunlight and also do the disk cleanup regularly and defrag the disk once a month and keep the vents clean from dust take it to the service center once in 6-7 months and apply cooling liquid and the cooling pad on the chips. And don’t run huge applications for long period of time or watching high resolution videos. Because it is a laptop not a desktop. Adjust proper power options like turn off the screen in 2 minutes, turn off hard disks in 5 minutes etc. I am sure that this will help you to keep your laptop cool and will also increase the life of your laptop.

The most common problem that arises because of the overheating is like your computer will shutdown automatically, or will get restarted, getting hanged. In addition many medical researchers have reported health issues ranging from sterility to burned genitalia due to the use of overheated laptops. Also your expensive computer requiring expensive replacement of some major components which could be even your motherboard. Also due to the unplanned restart or shutdown of the laptop the most important thing which is the data could be lost.

The overheating arises when you are continuously using you laptop in ways that keeps the CPU, the hard drive and video systems busy. Gaming leads to the overheating of the laptop. Even Virus scans, compiling of huge programs and any similar tasks bring on the problem. The problem also occurs surprisingly and sometimes occurs in the environment where the temperature is high. If you have got an overheating laptop then I would suggest that you take it or report it directly to the manufacturer where the fault could be rectified so that it won’t affect any other customers.

I have researched this and found that Sony has confirmed that the SB series of the laptop do not have any overheating problem. The VAIO S series manufactured after 2004 – 2005 has a different design and so issues may have been reported with the S series would not be related to the new SB series. And there are many more things that have been improved in the new Sony Vaio SB series laptop. Even I’m planning on getting one of these laptops for my myself.