Thread: IOS 6 won’t support Siri on iPad 2?

IOS 6 won’t support Siri on iPad 2?

I purchased an iPad 2 some seven months ago and I have been using it since then. I am happy that it runs fine without giving any problem regarding functionality and performance. Yesterday I saw that Apple has released iOS 6 for some of their products. I read the list and it included iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPad 2 and The new iPad. I was happy that I will be getting the operating system of my beloved iPad 2 updated into new one. I was also happy that I will be getting Siri for my iPad 2 along with the new upgrade. But then my friend pointed me out on the webpage about the iOS 6 update, there it was written that for mentioned products for whom iOS 6 is available, Siri won’t be provided for any device other than iPhone 4s and iPad 3. Now this is the main turn off for the iPad 2 users who were expecting something great from this upgrade. Does anyone else too feel bad about missing Siri from iOS 6 update?

Re: IOS 6 won’t support Siri on iPad 2?

iPad 2 has become more than a year old and I think Apple must be planning something new. They must be expecting people to replace their iPad 2 with their new devices. That is why they must not be providing all the features of the iOS 6 to all the devices. Also iPad 2 was made before Siri, so might be that iPad 2 must not be compatible with Siri and its functions. Also if you must have read about Siri, then it needs a lot of dictation, words and language content to be present in the device. I don’t think that iPad 2 must be having all of it. Also installing Siri can’t be done straight away like other apps. Siri needs to be well integrated with other inbuilt features like messages, call system and other features. Since Siri reads the incoming messages and name of the phone caller, it is necessary to have it integrated rather than simply installing it.

It is nothing but a trick by Apple to sell more of their latest products to the users who are still using old devices. With no new features made available in iOS 6 upgrade, it will force users to buy new devices. IPad 2 has similar hardware as compared to iPad 3. The only difference is between the RAM. But I think that RAM doesn’t play a big role in working of Siri. Apple could at least have provided short version of Siri, which is without some major features. It too would have worked for the iPad 2 users.

Actually Siri needs to have Audience chip present in the device which makes it possible for Siri to dictate and read the text and convert it into audio. This chip is the base requirement of running Siri on a device. iPad 2 doesn’t have this chip and also it cannot be separately installed in the device. This Audience chip is expensive itself and needs more efforts to have it attached in any device. So I think that if Apple provides iOS 6 update for iPad 2 along with Siri enabled, it will also need to provide the required hardware. Now the main problem is that, having this new hardware installed in an iPad 2 will need user to spend more money, Apple technicians will need to put in more effort and time. To perform this on thousands and lakhs of people from all over the world will become hectic and be next to impossible. Also iPad 3 is expensive than iPad 2 because of the hardware and its features. So providing this hardware and features in iPad 2 will prove to be a loss for Apple.