Thread: Cannot boot HP Probook 4520s from 32GB pen drive

Cannot boot HP Probook 4520s from 32GB pen drive

I am using HP probook laptop model number 4520s having Windows 7 basic edition. I wanted to upgrade the current version of operating system to a new version of it i.e. Windows 7 ultimate version. So I tried for that by using my corsair flash drive32 GB pen drive to install the OS and boot from it, but I observed that y BIOS doesn’t show my USB drive name. I don’t know why is it happening and why I am not able to boot the OS from my USB stick, so please provide a solution for it.

Re: Cannot boot HP Probook 4520s from 32GB pen drive

If the USB drive is not detecting on your laptop, then there can be two options. Might be your USB device not functioning or maybe there would be problem on your USB port. Try to place your pen drive on another laptop and check whether your USB drive is getting detected. If it is then your USB device is normal, so make sure that is it getting detected on BIOS screen and gets booted. There might be some problem with the BIOS setup software.

This might be a problem because of the outdated firmware of your probook. Your BIOS is not able to show your USB stick might be because BIOS doesn’t know about this device. This might happen if your USB stick is latest technology in the market. I guess your problem might get solved if you update your BIOS firmware. You could find the latest version of it by going to HP website and then select your laptop model and download the updated or newer version.

Your BIOS didn’t show your USB device into the list because it has not been detected. For this you should ensure that your USB device gets detected. Just start your probook with a default OS and after startup insert your USB drive into it and check whether it is getting detected or not. If it is not getting detected then go to device manager and uninstall the USB drivers from the list and restart your probook and perform the same again. I guess now it would detect your pen drive.

If you want to install the operating system from pen drive then make sure you are performing the following important steps. When you are having probook on then insert your USB drive into USB port and restart your laptop. After that enter bios setup and go to boot options and select USB-HDD into it to boot from pen drive. You will also find the boot device priority into bios setup your USB and save the changes and then the setup process would automatically proceed.

If you want to install a new operating system on your probook then you might do that if you are having the OS on DVD. As you are facing the problem booting from USB stick, then you do have second option of booting it through DVD ROM. Just place a DVD containing windows 7 into your DVD drive and select boot from CD/DVD from boot option in BIOS. You can go to bios setup by either pressing F2 key or DEL key because that key varies from different laptops.