Thread: Unable to remove Intel Boot Agent in HP 8540w

Unable to remove Intel Boot Agent in HP 8540w

I purchased a HP 8540 last week. It is an excellent laptop. HP changed the system board on my 8540w and after changing; my laptop always restarts from the network resulting in error messages from the Intel Boot Agent. I cannot find a setting for the boot agent to remove or disable it. I have tried changing the boot device order but nothing happened. Every time I restart my laptop, it always goes to the network first until I press F9 and manually select it. I would prefer to remove the boot agent but I am not able to do so. Is anyone aware about this issue? If yes then please help me out.’

Re: Unable to remove Intel Boot Agent in HP 8540w

The issue that you have posted is not complicated. The Intel boot agent can only be disabled from the Bios. In order to overcome the issue you need to perform some modifications in the Bios settings. For that you need to perform the following steps:
    In your BIOS (i.e. Boot Options Menu) disable the PXE Internal NIC Boot. After you disable the PXE internal NIC boot then the Intel Boot Agent will be automatically disabled. Some users have tried it and their issue has been solved.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I tried to disable booting from the network in the bios settings, but it didn’t have any effect. I also tried to change the sequence in the bios settings but the sequence reverted to the previous network. It seems like the boot agent is prevailing the bios settings. I just restarted my laptop on the network and now it is taking even longer period for the boot agent to time out. Is there any other solution to overcome this issue? If yes then please let me know about it.

This issue can only be solved from the Bios settings. I think there is some mistake done by you while performing the settings specified. When you modified the boot settings in the BIOS, did you press the F10 key at the time of performing the changes and also when you selected "Save Changes & Exit?”. If you haven’t pressed the F10 key at each and every menu you make the modifications then the changes that you perform won’t be saved. Try to do the Bios settings once again but this time don’t forget to save it.

This issue seems to be quite interesting. This issue can be due to defective hardware. Many users have encountered the same issue. And in their case it was the defective hardware problem. They had defective DVD drive in their laptop. They removed the DVD drive/ CD Rom from their laptop and their issue was solved. I would recommend you to remove the DVD drive/ CD Rom from your laptop by removing the tiny screw which is locking the drive. I think removing the DVD drive/ CD Rom might fix up the issue.

I am very grateful to you for the suggestions that you gave me to overcome my issue. As you specified to remove the DVD drive/ CD Rom from my laptop I removed it but still the issue exists. I am not able to find the exact cause of the issue. I also discussed this issue with my friends but they are also not able to overcome. Is there reason for this issue? If yes then what can be the solution. Do you any other solution to overcome issue? If yes then please do inform me about it.

This issue is very tricky to overcome by new users. The user having hardware and software knowledge can easily solve it. As you are a new user I would recommend you an simple way to solve this issue. Take your laptop to the HP service center. Discuss your issue with the supervisor present over there. He will assess your laptop and will let you know the exact cause of the issue. He will perform all the essential steps to remove Intel boot agent. He won’t charge you for this service if your laptop warranty exists.