Thread: Unable to access the memory card reader in HP NC6320

Unable to access the memory card reader in HP NC6320

I purchased a HP Elitebook 6930p last week. It is an excellent notebook. I normally use this notebook for programming, internet surfing, downloading and sometimes for gamming. The configuration of this notebook is very high. I re-installed XP Home in my notebook to clear all the errors. But I have encountered a strange issue while operating it. The memory card reader in my HP NC6320 is not working any more. . Whenever I insert a memory card in the provided slot it recognizes the card, but it is not allowing me to access it. It shows the removable storage device icon in my computer and assigns a drive to it, but when I double click on the drive, it display a message “the drive is not formatted”. Is anyone aware about this issue? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: Unable to access the memory card reader in HP NC6320

There can be several reasons for this issue. As you said that the notebook is able to recognize the memory card it means that this is not a major issue. To overcome the issue I would recommend you to format the Memory card. After formatting the memory card you will definitely be able to get access to your card reader. Formatting will surely clear all the pending errors in the memory card and will bring it to its initial state. If formatting doesn’t work out then please let me know.

I am very grateful to you for the suggestions that you have given to overcome the issue. As you advised me to format the memory card, I tried to format it but it failed. When I tried to format it a message was displayed saying “Unable to format memory card”. I tried several times but same message was displayed. I don’t know why my notebook is not permitting to format the memory card. Are you aware about other solutions? If yes then please inform me about it.

To get access to your card reader is not an easier task. This issue can be due to the virus programs or files in your notebook. But I will definitely try to make this task as easier as I can. To overcome this issue only one thing I can advice you is to up-grade your system from Windows XP to Windows 7. Up-grading the system to Windows XP will definitely permit the access to your card reader. Up- gradation will clear all the errors and viruses from you notebook. After up-gradation don’t forget to update the drivers

Thanks for all the recommendation that you have given me to overcome the issue. As you advised me to up-grade the system from Windows XP to Windows 7, I did the up-grade but still nothing happened. The issue remained same as it was before. As you said up-gradation should have removed all errors but it is not so. I am still not getting the access to my card reader. Is there any other solution to overcome it? If yes then please inform me about that.

This issue is very tricky to overcome by new users. The user having hardware and software knowledge can easily solve it. As you are a new user I would recommend you a simple way to solve this issue. Take your laptop to the HP service center. Discuss your issue with the supervisor present over there. He will assess your laptop and will let you know the exact cause of the issue. He will perform the entire essential to get to your access your card reader. He won’t charge you for this service if your laptop warranty exists.