Thread: How to set wifi disconnect policy to turn wifi off in Motorola Xoom

How to set wifi disconnect policy to turn wifi off in Motorola Xoom

I am using Motorola Xoom tablet. I don’t have much knowledge in using the features of the tablet. Still I try out certain things, but things don’t work for me until I take someone’s advice. I want to know certain things about wifi, I access internet through wifi. I want to turn wifi off whenever my screen turns off. I tried to set the wifi disconnect policy to When screen turns off, but it doesn’t work. It returns to never whenever my tablet goes idle. So provide me the needful information on this.

Re: How to set wifi disconnect policy to turn wifi off in Motorola Xoom

The thing you tried doing is right. If you want to turn your wifi off whenever you turn off the screen of your tablet, then wifi disconnect policy must be set to when screen turns off. But as you said it is getting reset to never, I think there is something which is interrupting your wifi settings. So make certain changes to your wifi settings again by going to settings, then wireless & networks, then wifi disconnect policy and again set the settings back to when screen off.

I guess the settings are reverted to normal. The default settings are set to never i.e. the wifi once connected is set to never disconnect it until it is manually disconnected. This might be happening because of some application on your tablet. I would recommend you to check the settings of the entire internet related applications or widgets. Just set their settings to always on when you are using that application and in disconnect options turn off all of them.

You are setting wifi disconnect policy properly to disconnect wifi whenever you turn the screen off. The thing happening here is that there are some applications which have an ability to control the wifi. If this application needs the connection to wifi continuously then it set the wifi disconnect policy to never, so that they could have a continuous access to the internet whenever wifi is connected to it. I think there is some application on android market which stops this happening.

I gone through all the options but didn’t found the correct solution for it. I am having the following running applications on my tablet. Some of it is Google service, maps, email, weather channel. I don’t know which application use the wifi. I just removed these applications as they are not useful for me. But I can’t remove all the internet accessible application as they are useful. I don’t know how to stop them from using the wifi. I want some another settings for it.

I recommend you to use an application for turning your wifi on and off. Instead of using wifi disconnect policy you could set a particular disconnect setting for your wifi on the application and I am sure this would not revert the settings back. There is one application called auto wifi toggle which you can find on the android market place. Download the named application from there and configure it to the settings you want for your wifi.