Thread: How to hard reset hanged Blackberry playbook

How to hard reset hanged Blackberry playbook

Purchased my first tablet PC, Blackberry Playbook last month and it seems to be working well until yesterday. Today morning while working on my Blackberry Playbook, to be specific while I was switching between two app directly, my device got stuck and stopped responding to my inputs. I am unable to find what must be causing this problem in my Playbook. Now it seems that performing hard reset is the only option left for me. But I don’t know how to do so. Please help me regarding my issue. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: How to hard reset hanged Blackberry playbook

Before you start with the process of performing factory reset I would make it clear that this would erase EVERYTHING from your Blackberry Playbook tablet. So, it would be better if you take back-up of your data before you start with the process. Follow these steps:
    • Click on cog, which you will find on the top right side of Blackberry Playbook device.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Go to the Security option.
    • Choose the factory wipe option and insert blackberry to confirm the wipe.
    • Your Blackberry Playbook will restart and you will experience all the features as it was having at the time of purchase.

Your playbook has completely freezed/hanged. It can be because of many reasons like if you have started many applications in your Blackberry Playbook then also it will get hanged. Also you said that the problem started of suddenly today morning then it is also possible that you must have installed some application yesterday which must have caused this problem in your playbook device. So I would recommend you to completely close your playbook and remove the battery of the device. Reinsert the battery and restart your playbook. Once you have restarted your device, just check out if the problem still exists after you have uninstalled or deleted all those recently added application.

If your playbook is not starting properly or if it is continuously hang every time you start your device, then also you can perform hard reset in your Blackberry Playbook. You just need to do the steps given below:
    • Hold down the volume up (+), volume down (-), and power button at the same time.
    • Make sure that you are holding them for about 15 seconds.
    • If you are unable to press them at the same time then I would recommend you to first hit the volume up key then the volume down key and then the power key. This would be much easier.

According to me there must be some issue with your Blackberry Playbook device. Either it must be running an older version of drivers or firmware software. So I would recommend you to first install all the necessary drivers in your tablet PC, make sure that you have installed the latest available drivers. Also update your firmware software. You can do that connecting your playbook device with the official website of Blackberry and then installing the latest available software update in your tablet PC.

There is one another way by doing which you can restore your factory settings in your Blackberry Playbook. Below are the instructions:
    1. Start Playbook Desktop manager in your computer. If you have not installed it then you should download the setup form the official website of Blackberry and install it in your system.
    2. After starting the Playbook Desktop Manager, connect your Playbook device with your computer.
    3. Perform hard reset in your device.
    4. Let your device restart itself. On restart the device will prompt for update.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions and finish the installation.
    6. Restart your device and you will find all the default settings of Blackberry installed in your Playbook.

I have heard somewhere that performing hard reset by yourself usually voids the warranty of your device. I am not sure about this, but I am just sharing what I heard to you guys. So the better option in this case would be to visit the nearest Blackberry Service center in your area or your locality and sending your Playbook to the get checked from the technical staff of Blackberry Service Centre, And if they detect any major issue with your tablet then you must probably repair it or get it replaced as per the condition.