Thread: Not able to play videos on blackberry playbook from my home Wi-Fi network

Not able to play videos on blackberry playbook from my home Wi-Fi network

This is more a question for anyone recognizable with networking, routers, and wireless internet. Here's the difficulty I'm having. When I'm home and try to watch a video on YouTube with the YouTube request video is played a bit then stutters and pauses and buffers. I have a good connection with a strong Wi-Fi at home. When I took the playbook to another Wi-Fi network in a completely separate YouTube videos run well are quick to load and seems to play no problem. So my question is. Is there a place in my router that needs to be adjusted to ensure that the playbook gets good bandwidth on my home network?

Re: Not able to play videos on blackberry playbook from my home Wi-Fi network

I would like to help you out from this situation. There are situations where router cannot accept multiple connections. I have experienced this at my office where I am having Net gear router and it connects to more than 30 devices and it doesn’t give any problem their. It is at my home where I have old version router and when I connect multiple device to it, then there is connection failure in all of them. So I want to know whether which router you use and which firmware version it is having.

I would like to tell you that it is not only signal strength but also about speed wireless router (formally known as IEEE 802.11 B / G / N). According to physics law, the speed matters more, although connection strength is also equally important. You are using blackberry playbook and I found that it uses IEEE standard N, which is the latest wireless version from IEEE. So measure the speed given by your router and also the speed that playbook receives.

I am using Linksys router and it haven’t got much older, I guess it is just three years old. It is just a problem with my home wifi; I am able to work properly with this home network when I have tested it using iphone. When I just browse through the internet, there is no such slow connection problem in my playbook with home wifi network. I am experiencing the problem when I stream the videos on my playbook and thus I am dissatisfied with it.

I checked for the playbook wireless standard and it is having wireless N. The playbook is running a wireless N, which (in theory) gives 108 Mbps (in fact, be no more than about 40 years, but this is due to the laws of physics). 40 Mbps is more than enough for the transmission of most devices. A wireless N at my home gets around 20Mbps, which is easily fast enough. If you have router with Wireless B standard then the maximum performance you can get is 11 Mbps, or actually around 5 Mbps, which is not really fast enough to listen.

I think it not a router problem as you are not getting problem when you are at different wifi network. It would be definitely a playbook problem. There would be some of the compatibility issue with the playbook. Playbook would be having some of the issues with the routers; it would not be enough settings to communicate with these older routers. So contact with RIM in order to solve the wifi settings problem of your playbook.