Thread: HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr blinking capslock and wont boot

HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr blinking capslock and wont boot

I have recently bought a new HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr laptop and I am running Windows 7 on it. Everything on this system was working fine but from yesterday my laptop started giving me booting issue. When I try to boot it then it will not boot but the capslock light is still blinking. I have searched for some answers on the internet but cannot find anything related to my problem. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thanks

Re: HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr blinking capslock and wont boot

I am using a model of HP Pavilion dv7 laptop and it is the second time I am facing this problem. To solve the problem I replaced the battery first time and it seems to worked at that time. But now it is not working anymore and found out that there are other things that could possibly corrupt the laptop from booting, like CPU failure, BIOS failure, motherboard issue, etc.

Re: HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr blinking capslock and wont boot

I was also facing this same issue with Caps lock blinking and the screen was completely black. I normally keep the laptop outside of the bag and thought of removing the dust from it. So, first I removed the battery and then the hard drive. After that I just tapped under the laptop and blowed air to remove the dust which was jammed inside. And after that I put everything back to its place and it booted without any issues this time.

The problem with this particular model is that there is a flaw in the design of the cooling system.
    After doing some research i came across some videos on youtube explaining and demonstrating the nature of this mainboard failure.
    the Graphic chip gets over heated and looses contact on the mainboard causing the unit to not boot.
    if your unit is out of warranty then you can attempt a temporary fix.
    this in requires that u disassemble the unit and take out the main board.
    the method i use:
    -after removing the main board i wrap the board in aluminium foil.
    -expose only the graphic chip. the chip that is near to the CPU chip socket. the heat sink also goes over this chip
    - cut out a hole the dimensions of the graphic chip on a thick piece of card board
    - wrap cardboard in aluminium foil,make sure that the cut out is also lined with foil.
    -place wrapped card board over bard and line up cutout with graphic chip
    - heat the graphic chip with a heat gun or a pen torch for about 45 seconds
    - apply some pressure with the base of a screw driver or something that you can use to apply equal pressure on the chip for about 10 second.
    - allow to cool.
    - after about 20 mins test board 95% of the time i get display.
    - IF YOU DO NOT GET DISPLAY YOU MAY HAVE A MORE COMPLICATED PROBLEM,REPLACE YOUR MAINBOARD.
    - apply a small amount of epoxy plastic steel on the corners of the graphic chip.
    - let plastic steal to set over night.
    Plastic steal is applied to help keep chip from lifting in the future.
    - use copper shim between graphic chip and heatsink,
    -make sure u apply fresh thermal paste on CPU and between graphic chip and copper shim
    -reassemble unit and your unit should be as good as new.

Note : DO THIS FIX AT YOUR OWN RISK. do not heat chip for more than 2 minutes.also make sure u allow it to cool before u try to power it up.