Thread: Mouse freezing in Dell Latitude E6400

Mouse freezing in Dell Latitude E6400

I am using dell latitude model no. E6400 and from certain days I am having problem with mouse cursor. When I am doing work on my laptop, suddenly my mouse cursor disappeared and after trying lots of things, I restarted my laptop. Then it worked well, but again sometimes my cursor jumps over the screen unexpectedly. Then I connected external mouse to laptop, but same problem continues. I have updated my drivers by downloading the needed drivers from dell website, but still not able to get rid out of this. Does anyone know the exact cause for this problem?

Re: Mouse freezing in Dell Latitude E6400

To solve this query, you need to check whether this problem still exist in windows safe mode. For this restart your laptop, and boot into safe mode by simultaneously pressing F8 key, you will get a screen and select safe mode. In this mode, your computer would boot with minimum drivers, i.e. only with required drivers. Try performing several activities in this mode, and if you find that the problem is not getting here, then the actual cause for this mouse freezing is due to incompatible software.

I have found that this kind of problem has arisen with several dell users. I think that this problem might have occurred due to incompatible software on your laptop. You might have installed some software which might me incompatible with your operating system. So if you have done so, then uninstall that software and restart your laptop. As you updated all your drivers, I would like to know whether you reinstalled these new drivers again or uninstalled the previous drivers first and then installed fresh drivers again.

This would be happening because of touchpad drivers. Try to uninstall touchpad driver from device manager. You can do this by clicking on run from start menu and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. Now from the device manager dialog box, go to touchpad driver or mouse devices and right click that and select uninstall. This would uninstall that driver, and restart your laptop. If you are using windows 7, then needed drivers would automatically get installed. If not, then manually install these drivers and then check for the problem. I think this would fix your problem.

You should try to restore your laptop to an earlier state by performing system restore. This technique would bring your laptop state to previously known state, on which your laptop was functioning properly. If you tried all the above solutions and sill not still able to get rid of your problem then you should take your laptop to nearest dell service center. If your laptop is in warranty then they would fix your problem and this could be done at free of charge. If your warranty is expired, then also you can take your service center, but for that they would charge you for that, else you can show it to any local laptop repairing center around you.

The very last option which you have is to format your laptop, so that it would clean your hard drive, and thus your problem also might get removed. But before formatting your laptop, you should take a backup of your data, because formatting erases every file from your hard disk. Although, it is not a better option to format hard disk, just because mouse is not functioning well, but as all those solutions are not working for you, you can choose this option. If you have more data and you are not able to take backup of all on another external source, then you can shift all the data to non OS drive, i.e. most probably other than C: drive and just format C: drive, so that only c drive data would be erased and rest all would be as it is.