Thread: Is it possible to root Xperia Play with a locked bootloader

Is it possible to root Xperia Play with a locked bootloader

I am using Sony xperia play cell phone. As jail breaking, rooting the phone adds more feature in our phone, so I also want to do the same. But I read that rooting breaks phone’s warranty. I also read that rooting is done by unlocking boot loader, and for rooting xperia play, Sony has created website which provides us the information about this. I guess that Sony understands that we have rooted the phone by checking bootloader of our phone, whether it is unlocked o not. So I wanted to know is it possible to root the phone without unlocking the bootloader, and also to stick with a warranty.

Re: Is it possible to root Xperia Play with a locked bootloader

If we jail break or root our phone then it do break our phone’s warranty. The rooting feature allows our phone to have applications which are locked in our phone. I have tried rooting my phone and I got to know that my warranty is void. Even I haven’t heard about rooting the phone without unlocking the bootloader. So I guess you might have heard wrong from someone that it is possible to root the phone even if the bootloader is locked.

My friend tried rooting his cell phone and then he got some problem in it, so he took it to Sony service center, but then they told that your phone’s warranty has been void because you have rooted your phone. At that time I realized that these people understand that we have rooted our phone by checking our bootloader. Even when he tried to update his phone then update process was failing and continuously give the error that your phone has been modified, so update is restricted.

You heard right that you can root your phone by keeping your bootloader locked. There is a application called GingerBreak which allows to root your phone without unlocking bootloader. You can find this application from android market place. After installing this application, run it and perform rooting in your phone. The only thing is this type of rooting can be done only by cell users who have gingerbread Android OS.

GingerBreak application is much nice; it allowed me to root my cell phone without unlocking the bootloader. I did it last night, all things worked proper for me. I had less internal memory on my phone before rooting, but as I rooted last night and also used SD location setter, my memory got increased. Even I observed that my phone runs much faster as compared previously. Now playing games in it is much enjoyable, and also it doesn’t lags in between.

How rooting without unlocking bootloader keeps our phone’s warranty. I guess this application would be making our phone’s bootloader undetectable; therefore our warranty is not getting void. Anyways I also want to perform rooting in my cell phone, but I need certain more information about it. If I root my phone then would my data get lost? I have certain data on my phone and my SD card is also filled. Do I need any kind of other software to perform this type of rooting?

Be on the safer side you should take backup of your entire phone’s data. You could do this by using a android application called Titanium. It moves our entire phone’s data to SD card. This application is much powerful, it has lot more feature, for eg. You can also select which applications to uninstall and which files to move. Service center only checks whether you have modified the bootloader, and GingerBreak application doesn’t unlock or edit the bootloader, so there is not chance that Sony would break your warranty.