Thread: Sony Handycam not connecting to computer.

Sony Handycam not connecting to computer.

Hello friends, I have been trying to load video to my pc from the sony handycam minidv that I bought last week. When I go into windows movie maker and try to load from the "load from digital video camera" it prompts me that the camera is not found, but my camera says that its connected. I am trying to perform this on one laptop with vista. I have even tried loading this to my second laptop which having OS windows 7. The camera is the disc drive, when I click on it, it displays that it cannot be read. Any help would be much appreciated! Waiting for replies…!!

Re: Sony Handycam not connecting to computer.

Do one thing, first of all, Turn the camcorder OFF. Then Connect the DV (i.Link) port (not USB) on the camcorder to the pc's FIREWIRE port with a firewire cable. USB wont be working. USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter things will not work. I don't know if you might need a 4-pin to 4-pin, 6-pin or 9-pin firewire cable. Try checking it out and google as i am really not sure about it. Sorry

I would like to say that when the camcorder is connected to the computer with the firewire cable, and the computer is powered up, power up the camcorder and put it in Play/VCR mode.Then Launch the video editor.After you have done this, now Under "File", select "Capture" or import...USB will only be used for transferring stills off the memory card. I hope I have helped you with it..Now no need to thanks guys.

Thanks Even I was trying it from long time on my windows. Even I have been trying to load videos to my pc from the sony handycam minidv. But I would like to add few things. The thing that I would like to add is that, Minidv will require a firewire connection and you will require a firewire cord and your computer needs a firewire card. I hope you will be getting the above things into consideration before Trying to load pictures to computer.

I might help you guys with this thing, Its easy to access the Memory Stick of the Sony Handycam, by far, Its easier out of the two ways to use your Sony Handycam through your PC. Start with connecting the cable, turn on the camcorder, and switch it to "Memory" or "Playback" mode. Windows Vista automatically detects the camera and install the correct driver. Once you have finished installing the device driver, Windows Autoplay will be displayed, now if you have a Memory Stick inserted in the camcorder. You can examine the driver installation. Now examine the Device Manager, Windows Vista Installs two "Sony Camcorder" drivers