Thread: Nokia 5800 Xpress music proximity sensor not working properly

Nokia 5800 Xpress music proximity sensor not working properly

I am using a cell phone Nokia 5800 Xpress music which is a symbian phone. It has many features such as 3G, TFT capacitive touch screen, 3.15 MP camera, Wi-Fi, GPS and many more. I liked its functions and features and I was satisfied with it. In the beginning I never faced any problems but after some time I noticed that proximity sensor is not working properly. The phone works as it is supposed to work but when I make a call, i.e. the screen goes off when I hold it to my ear. While having conversation with someone through my phone I usually press the mute or loudspeakers buttons with my ears touching the phone since the screen does not lock during conversation. Sometimes when I call someone and if any part of my face touches the screen then the call gets ended automatically and sometimes it completely stops working. Is my proximity sensor dead? If not, then how can I activate it? How can I solve this issue?

Re: Nokia 5800 Xpress music proximity sensor not working properly

The touch phones usually face the error of proximity sensor. The problem is bit complicated. I advise you to upgrade your firmware to its latest version. I noticed that upgrading firmware to its latest version solves the proximity sensor error. Many people were having this issue in their cell phone but after they upgraded their firmware their issue was solved. The proximity sensor error was almost disappeared. You try this out and I think after up gradation your proximity sensor will start working as it initially worked.

I read your post and came to know about your issue that is annoying you a lot. I think your proximity sensor is working but as you know that the phone is never locked when we are having a conversation. But I know about a software that can help you to avoid this problem. The name of the software is pocket lock. You can download this soft ware from the OVI store. This software automatically locks the phone when the sensor is covered. When we keep the phone outside (open to air) without any case, the sensor locks the phone within the time you set for lock period and with the soft touch at the sensor the phone is unlocked. I advise you to download this software and you won’t face this kind of problem in future.

Many people have encountered this sensor error in many touch phones. This is actually an issue related to hardware. It is a complicated problem and I regular cell phone user cannot solve this problem. To avoid this problem I recommend you to visit Nokia care and tell them about your issue. They will inspect your phone and will do the needful. They may either change some hardware part from your phone or do some internal phone settings. They will charge you if your cell phones warranty is expired else they won’t charge you. After visiting Nokia care you won’t face this issue again.