Thread: unable to open External Hard drive on Asus Eee PC900A

unable to open External Hard drive on Asus Eee PC900A

Hello friends I am using Asus Eee PC900A. my laptop is working absolutely fine but whenever I try to open my external drive in my laptop then I am not able to do it. Earlier I was not having this problem with my computer but after that I upgraded my laptop with windows vista and now I am not able open my external hard drive on my laptop. Please tell me what should I do to solve this problem. Please reply me as soon as possible. I really want my hard drive work again.

Re: unable to open External Hard drive on Asus Eee PC900A

As you have said in your post about your hard drive first I suggest you to check the USB cable which you are using is working perfectly or not? If you have any other USB cable then try to connect with that cable and try to open with it. After doing that if you are able to open the hard drive then I think there is something wrong with your USB cable. But if after doing that also you are having the same problem then please let me know so I can give you solution according to that.

If you are facing the problem with your external hard drive connection with your laptop then I think you need to do follow these steps. First connect your hard drive with your laptop. Then go to the my computer and then go in to the device manager after that right click on the USB port after that you will find the option scan for hardware changes. Now your laptop will detect the hard drive. Once it is complete with the process after that you will be able to use your hard drive.

I understand your problem and if you are facing trouble with the hard drive detection then I suggest you to try to connect the hard disk with different laptop. If your hard drive is not able to detect with other laptop also then there is the possibilities of your hard disk gets corrupted. But if your hard disk working properly with other laptop then there is something wrong with your laptop USB drivers. So just check this then you will be able to understand the exact problem.

If you have upgraded from windowsXP to windows vista and after that you are facing that problem then I think you need to relocate your hard drive. You can relocate the hard drive by doing this steps.
    • First right click on my computer and then click on the manage.
    • After that in manage window click on the disk management.
    • Now there you will find the removable disk. Right click on it.
    • Now click on the locate. Wait for sometime after that it will show your hard drive.

Now you will be able to see your hard disk.

I was trying to solve this problem and I have also tried my hard disk with other laptop. My hard disk was working fine with the other laptop. But after that I read last post regarding relocating the hard drive. I followed all the steps as they are mentioned in the post. After that all the things are working absolutely fine. Now my hard drive is working like champ. So thank you for all your help and all the information. I really appreciate your health.