Thread: Alienware M17x R1 GPU overheating

Alienware M17x R1 GPU overheating

Recently, I started having issue with my M17x. Whenever I used to play games; my laptop turns off without warning just minutes into the game. I thought this must be some problem of the OS from that recently made some updates! Then after I restored to factory settings and the games appears to be working well now. But I realized anther problem that even when my M17x is idle (just browsing the Internet), the temperatures of my two 260Ms GTX running too high! A card is running at about 52 and another around 70. However, these temperatures are severe for idle conditions. When playing games with temperatures reaching up to 105 for both cards

Re: Alienware M17x R1 GPU overheating

I would like to tell you about my past experience had not cleaned the inside of my laptop for 3 months! But then I started having problems with the laptop shut down while gaming, I removed all vent and fans as I thought it was going to overheat! (I did this same yesterday, and now still temperatures are running high) I'll attempt to update the BIOS though. But I succeed a little bit of my problem is solved. But I am suggesting you that you do this process at least once. May be your problem to be solved fully.

Well start with the fans then take it right out and clean. The thermal paste is not tough to do. Clean the old stuff with alcohol and re-apply the new material. A small drop in the center is usually sufficient, and secure the heat sink assembly again, removes again to verify uniform coverage. There are several threads in these forums about it, I’ll try for searching. But according to me you should use cooling pad. May be your laptop will be reach maximum temperature.

I took the graphics card fans, cleaned, and I was very surprised to see how much dust got stuck in the vents. The graphics cards are fine now WIFI in temps around 45 degree 0C. But a little bit went wrong while changing the CPU fan and the cable is broken now. I have to wait until Monday now, when the technician arrives with a new fan. Until then I can not play or put any stress on the laptop. Before I knew the fan problem, I played Assassin's Creed 2 and the second CPU temperatures reached a whopping 80 degrees. In fact, the laptop automatically shuts off. I think the problem of the laptop get close while playing games should lose the fan cable connection. I really hope that after getting the new fan my games not close. I'll post again if the problem persists!

The hardware engineer arrived today, and as always I had to help a little on how to open the laptop! Change the CPU fan and the fan on the graphics card (which was making noise). When I asked why it was the motherboard and graphics cards delivered, said in case the fault lay with the cards / motherboard and not the actual fans. I've been playing Assassin's Creed II for almost two hours today, and temperatures seem to be doing well.
    CPU- 65-70
    GPU 1 - 70
    GPU 2 - 68-70
    I have to check with Mafia II, however, because I've never actually played AC II, when the issue of closing games was there. Mafia also publishes the results.