Thread: Is Linux compatible with Macbook

Is Linux compatible with Macbook

Hello everyone, I wanted to one question with you all on this forum. I am palnning to buy a Macbook, but I want to use Linux Gentoo within it, so my question is that is it possible to use Linux in Macbook? I like the way Linux look and feel. However I think that I will be stuck with this thing, if it will not working with some of the feature like Wi-Fi. So can anyone help me with this? Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

Re: Is Linux compatible with Macbook

Hey I have gone through to your question, in short I just wanted to say that, if you are trying to do such thing, it will work but you will be having problem in feature also. I think everything will work but wireless will be quite trickier to setup. If you are doing such thing you will likely need to install firmware manually and also you will need to deal with EFI instead of the standard BIOS which will be a different Bootloader. So think twice before doing such things. All the Best!

Hello friends, I have also done some research and I wanted to conclude that if you use Gentoo and haven’t learned that how to compile software for one distribution, you can compile it with any distribution. So before doing it, first try to learn about the software compilation. if you do such thing you will be easily able to use Gentoo Linux in Macbook. There is not a such thing like software only available with Ubuntu, it is also available with Gentoo. So all the best and do your thing. If you get any error I am there for you. All the Best!

Hey I also wanted to add some more information about the above matter. as per my experience with Macbook I can say that, Macbook is known to have thermal grease installed properly. If you will try to do such thing, obviously you will get success in it but due to thermal grease, you will get result in overheating problem. And I am also sure that you will also face some problems with antenna placement. So I will also say the that think twice before doing it.

Hey I am completely agreed with the above post, and I wanted to say that Linux tends to be slightly worse on the power saving option. As per my preference if you will do that you will feel quite hotter while running Linux. If I tell you mine, I have not yet felt such thing in my Macbook, but I am not using Linux within it. When I did installation of Linux I felt that it is quite hotter. So keep in mind and then go ahead, before doing checkout the warranty and all.

Hello friends, I just wanted to say thanks you to all for writing such great thoughts on this forum and as well as on my question. I am feeling bad to tell you all that your discussion made me confused, but now I am on a conclusion that I will not try to use such thing now, because I have recently bought it and I don’t want to mess up with things, however I have my personal PC in which I will use Gentoo. So thanks a lot again for your support.