Thread: How to make Linux partitions on Lenovo notebook

How to make Linux partitions on Lenovo notebook

I am having a Lenovo W510 notebook with me and I am very happy with the performance of it. Now while using it I just decided to put Linux into it as well. So what I am trying to create some Linux partitions to install Slackware on my Lenovo W510 notebook. So while doing that I am getting some kind of errors errors when using fdisk or cfdisk during the Slackware install. So now I don’t know what I need to do to solve the problem that I am facing right now. Please get back to me on this as I am getting worried about it.

Re: How to make Linux partitions on Lenovo notebook

I just had a look at the question that you have put up and would say that this might be due to the problem that there must be something wrong with the process of installation that you are trying to do.I guess that that is the process which might have went wrong and hence you are not able to achieve the thing that you were hoping for. So I would suggest you that you should once again try the same procedure and then I would say that the problem will be immediately solved.

I have a feeling that whatever you are facing might be due to the hidden system restore partition and you have to actually dealt with this. I have a feeling that gparted is the one that is causing the problem and I feel that it needs to be considered more powerful than fdisk for many reasons. I also feel that there is nothing of which is gparted and can resize partitions. Also there is something that fdisk last and that cannot be checked in a proper manner.

Thanks a lot for the solutions that you have put up and would say that I am really happy for the solutions that you have provided. Also I would say that I remember from earlier was that the fdisk and cfdisk as well as Partition Magic are the one that complained about the partitions. Also I got the error where the cfdisk and Partition Magic wouldn't even let me continue past the message.But now whatever you have put up I will surely try to work on them immediately.

I feel that the Partition Magic is the one that is likely not to work and the reason for that is the resizing partitions is not a guaranteed process. So this is something that you have to remember and would say this thing in particularly. This is because if the partition has been used for a long period of time of even the case is that it is close to full then the problem would again arise. Also it can be difficult to do due to fragmentation.So this is what you need to be careful about and then u guess the problem will be solved.

The problem that you are facing is something that is faced by many people and would say that I would tell you to make a back up of the thing that are present with you and would say that then you just have to de-fragment your Windows drive.Once this is done then I would use gparted to resize. This is what you need to do to solve the problem that you are facing and then everything will be fine with you and there wont be any problems at all.