Thread: Can an external HD replace a laptop HD?

Can an external HD replace a laptop HD?

I have a laptop and I am having a problem regarding its HDD, and I also have the external HDD, so can we replace it as a laptop’s HDD or I have to buy a new HDD or if you have any other solution please help me out. I have an serious problem with that and need to restore my important files too, will it be compatible with the windows 7. ? please help me out as soon as possible as I have to back up all my data.

Re: Can an external HD replace a laptop HD?

yeah, you can do it through various different and all are simpler, The best possible fate for an old internal drive is to become a super-handy external drive, which it you can do with a some investment and by dedicating your precious time. An external hard drive can serve countless uses like moving large files from one PC to another this is the basic one, backing up of the important data whenever it is needed, get the necessary files from an unbootable drive, and off course last but not the least, expanding your available storage space.

Another good solution for these is to have a small case that hold a HDD and supplies power, protection and a USB or FireWire interface. The prices range from as little as $10 on up to around $100, though I would like to suggest, don’t pay more than $20-30 for one. You need to consider just the size, If your hard drive is from a notebook, you'll need a 2.5-inch enclosure and Desktop drives require a 3.5-inch enclosure.

It might get some problem with HDD because of its corrupted sectors, you can try to format it first, if the problem would be minor than it will be solved otherwise Replacement is also the best option if it is still in warrantee period. The error will also occurs if the hard disk stops working properly, at that time you won’t get any option rather than buying it. It will cost you too but as soon as you get the hard disk you can continue with your work at least.

when you try to install windows 7 on external HDD, as far as I know you couldn't install the earlier versions of Windows OS on an external hard drive. It would basically be too easy to use the OS anywhere and it's not what Microsoft wants. I pretty much think that you are not able to install Windows 7 on external device. you should try to use the USB drive by making it bootable and then install it from there.

If you consider the other option, it would be an external USB DVD/optical drive, it perhaps work faster, its completely depends upon, if the USB connection or the optical drive would be the "weak" link in installing from an optical disk. If it is the USB connection, then it should be the same, as for both the hard drive and optical drive option, it would be the USB limiting things. If it is reading data from the optical disc that is the weak link, then the hard drive option would be faster. The point is that with a Netbook, you have to install from some sort of USB device since most, if not all, Netbooks don't have internal optical drives.