Thread: backlight turns off due to bad earthing in my HP compaq 6735s

backlight turns off due to bad earthing in my HP compaq 6735s

Hello friends, I am having a HP Compaq 6735s laptop. There is some problem with the screen. Whenever I move the laptop towards me the backlight of the screen goes off and when it is moved away, the backlight turns on. I can see that the trigger is at the lower left of the system where there are two USB ports and PCMCIA slots. This problem occurs when the laptop runs on battery as well as in AC power. I can’t understand what is wrong with the laptop. Can anyone suggest me some solution for this problem.

Re: backlight turns off due to bad earthing in my HP compaq 6735s

When ever you are near the laptop, the backlight goes off. It is very unique problem that you are having with the laptop. I think it occurs due to earthing problem. Can you tell me where your laptop rests while working on it. It may happen that static charge is interrupting the backlight. Place the laptop on some insulating material or plastic board. Is there any metal at the bottom. If so then insulate it with the plastic tape and see if you can solve the earthing issue. Check if any of the screw has come out and making contact with the surface, on which you place it.

It I possible that due to some loose contact, your laptop is behaving this way. When your laptop is stable in a particular position the backlight is on and when ever you move it the contacts break and this turns off the display. The hinge of the laptop is very delicate, and in most of the cases, problem occur due to breakage of the cables hat connects the screen to the keyboard. If you doubt that it is the matter of loose casing or loose connection, then take it to the service center and get it repaired. Don’t try to open or repair any parts, if you don’t have any knowledge regarding it

Possibly the issue is due to loose contacts of the screen with the motherboard. It may also happen due to bad power or inappropriate power options which turns off the backlight. check the BIOS and make sure that your laptop is configured correctly. Test your laptop by placing it on different surface. Check it by placing on the plastic or wooden surface. It is possible that the non conductive screw is replaced with the conductive one, and causing the current from the motherboard is flowing to the ground. It may happen that the cables inside the laptop is shorting and cutting off the backlight display

If the backlight is switching on and off frequently then it means that your laptop is having display problem. Check whether the display drivers are working properly or not. If its so, then reinstall the driver. Check for the drivers update and get it updated to the latest update available. I have seen some laptop, where the backlight just turns off but the video is not lost,. It occurs due to shorting or bad power transformer, that controls and power the backlight display of the computer. Have you checked it by connecting the external monitor to the laptop.

Hey guys, thank you all for your kind replies and suggestions. you were right that my laptop was having a display problem. i was very much worried about it. there was some internal hardware problem and some components were shorting on the motherboard. The transformer that powers the screen was also shorting. When I took it to the eservice center for the repair, they told me about the problem. so when ever i moved the laptop, it was shorting and the screen turned off.