Thread: Toshiba Portege R705 laptop screen flicker white horizontal lines

Toshiba Portege R705 laptop screen flicker white horizontal lines

Please help me solve my problem. All of a sudden my Windows 7 running Toshiba Portege R705 laptop screen has started flickering white horizontal lines. It does not happened all the time, but just sometimes it starts to flicker horizontals white lines which are very irritating. I don’t remember to damage or drop my laptop ever. The problem seems to be more annoying because it’s being not even one month that I have purchase my laptop. Your suggestions to help me on this issue will be appreciated. Please feel free to post your suggestions.

Re: Toshiba Portege R705 laptop screen flicker white horizontal lines

Many computers and laptops experience the problem of flickering screen because of an improperly calibrated refresh rate. The refresh rate is responsible to determine how often the computer will redraw the images on the screen of the monitor or laptop. Sometimes an inappropriate refresh rate gets selected for the monitor screen, when the Windows is installed. The user can adjust these refresh rates manually though the user should take care that the monitor is not harmed. A very high refresh rates can also damage the video displays, so it is advisable to consult some expert before you select some maximum possible refresh setting for your laptop monitor.
    • You can adjust the refresh rate manually by navigating to the following path: Start > Settings > Control Panel > display icon (double click)
    • Go to the settings tab and the select the Advanced button.
    • Now click on the Monitor tab. This will display a drop-down list of refresh rates. Refresh rates of 70 Hz to 85 Hz are common.
    • If you select the appropriate refresh rate, you might end up solving your problem of screen flickering.

It would be better if your check all the connections including the Video card. Make sure all the cables are not broken and there is no loose pin connected in any of the connectors. I would suggest you to replace the cable and check whether the problem is solved or it still exists. Sometimes the screen flickering problem is caused due to the failure of the video card. Once you have opened the cabinet, make sure that your have confirm that the video card is securely placed on the motherboard and if still you are facing the problem, then you should probably replace the current video card with a new one which you are confirm will work. If the flickering has disappeared then you know who the real culprit was behind this unusual flicker of laptop screen.

Sometimes the flickering of the laptop screen can be caused due to the outdated drivers or any other driver issue. So I would recommend you to reinstall all the essential drivers and utilities of your laptop and then check if the problem still exists or not. You can install the drivers using the drivers CD which you must have received alone with your laptop. If you don’t have any CD are unable to find it, then you can download the same drivers and utilities of your Toshiba laptop from the official website of Toshiba Support
    Visit the above website of Toshiba and download all the updated drivers for your respective laptop. Just follow the onscreen instructions and download the necessary Drivers and utilities of your laptop.

If the flicker on the monitor screen remains after you have done checking with the cable connections, display settings, the video adaptor, then according to me the problem would be with the laptop’s screen itself. Thus you must be facing some internal hardware issues. This hardware issue can be solved only by submitting your laptop for repairing to some computer stores. You can search for the nearest service center of Toshiba by visiting Toshiba Service center website. Follow the on-screen instructions and find the nearest Toshiba Service Center for Toshiba customers. And as you said it’s being just one month sing you purchased your laptop, the repairing will be free under warranty period.

Hey all you people who removed some time of their busy life to go through my thread and reply to my query. It was really very kind and very generous of all you people to help someone completely strange to you. It shows how big hearted you guys are. I must say the solutions were very perfect, as I wanted them. Once again thank you a lot for your quick and helpful suggestions that you made in my thread. Wish to get my future technical problems solved by you kind guys.