Thread: Backlight of keyboard buttons is not working in Toshiba Satellite A665

Backlight of keyboard buttons is not working in Toshiba Satellite A665

I have got Intel i7 processor in my Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop and it is running 32-bit Windows 7 Operating System. It’s being just 3 months since I purchased my laptop and it has started showing up with problems. I don’t remember damaging my laptop in recent times but all of a sudden the backlight of my few keyboard buttons, especially the media buttons on top of the keyboard has stopped working. They turn off by itself and light up only after I press them several times. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Help me solve this weird issue with my Toshiba laptops keyboard.

Re: Backlight of keyboard buttons is not working in Toshiba Satellite A665

I heard that by doing Hard Reset, temporary settings can be cleared, thus clearing all the drivers and reinstalling them automatically when the system is restarted. To perform hard reset follow the below steps:
    • Disconnect your laptop from the AC adapter and then open the back case to remove the battery of the laptop.
    • Get rid of all the possible connections to your laptop like the external HDD, Scanners, printers, LAN cables, disconnect even from the Wi-Fi, external USB mouse and keyboard.
    • Now hold the power button of your laptop for few seconds so that all the remaining charge in the capacitors of your laptop will be removed.
    • Reattach the battery and the AC adapter of the laptop to the power and restart your laptop. Don’t connect the other devices.
    • Switch on your laptop and check whether the problem still exists or not.

There must be some kind of drivers issue in your laptop. So I would suggest you to reinstall your drivers and other utilities, especially the one related to your laptops keyboard. You can use the drivers CD which you have got with your laptop to do so. Or else if you don’t have the drivers CD with you, you can even download them from the official website of Toshiba Support. Visit the below link: Toshiba Support
    Click on Download link and select the Product Category, family or the series name and the model of your laptop. Also select the Operating system and the drivers you wish to download.

I had also faced this problem with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. And the solution to solve this problem of turned off backlight of keyboard buttons and the multimedia button happened to be very simple. The Toshiba laptops have got buttons on the bar that turns ON/OFF the backlight of the keyboard buttons. It is mostly the third (3rd) button to the right of the power button in most of the Toshiba laptops. It looks somewhat like an arrow which is curved toward the right. Use this button to turn your keyboard buttons backlight On or Off as per your wish.

This unusual behavior of few buttons backlight working well and not working for other can be because of some hardware issues in your laptop. It will be difficult for you to solve the hardware problems by yourself because by doing so you are risking your laptop to more problems. So I would recommend you to visit the following website: Toshiba Service Center
    Here you can locate the nearest service center of Toshiba. Just fill few given options and you will be getting a result which must be having a list of all the Toshiba Service Centers near your area. Select the one which suits you and call up the technical staff to select a date when you can get your laptop fixed. Fixing the problem might charge if you don’t have any warranty for your laptop.

Hey Guys thank you a lot for your generous replies. They really meant a lot to me. The solutions were exactly what I was looking for. Seems like the trouble was very small but I made it look bigger. The backlight of the keyboards can be controlled with the help of that button (3rd to the right of the power button). I was simply making a big cry out of this little problem. Anyways once again thank you a lot for your kindness to reply my thread so quickly and help me out to get my problem solved.