Thread: Need to Upgrade RAM on a Compaq Presario SR1611NX

Need to Upgrade RAM on a Compaq Presario SR1611NX

Hello everyone, today I am not suffering from any problem I just wanted to ask one question to you all, actually I have and old computer at my place, which I use very rarely. Currently it has 512MB of RAM only, in which I have divided in 2 slots of 256mb. So I just wanted to know that should I upgrade the RAM, I am planning to 1GB DIMMS and replace 256mb which are installed. Actually I don’t want to spend more on it. I am upgrading RAM just because I was facing some problem running the MS office and some other application. So anyone have any new idea then please reply to the post.

Re: Need to Upgrade RAM on a Compaq Presario SR1611NX

Hello friend, it’s good that you still have such older version, because those older laptops were very good. Well looking at your question, I can say that to get most bangs for your buck, memory should be installed in matching pairs so that your PC will work good. Yes you must upgrade your RAM; you must install 512mb of 2 RAM in two different slots and no need to remove older RAM. But make sure that you are getting the proper series of RAM which can support your machine. So just try this, All the Best!

Hello friends, I agree with above post. Using above method you can add a 512mb PC3200 memory chip into different slots. If you have 4 slots for RAM in your machine then you can add 512mb of 2 RAM on slot 2 and 4, and in slot 1 and 3 you install your old 256mb of 2 different RAM. Using in this manner you will use the proper capacity of RAM and you will not have any difficulties in running the applications. If I was in place of you, I would have done the same for the better performance. All the Best, if you like my solution then reply to this post.

Hello everyone, I also wanted to say some more about the above solution. Well I am completely agreed with above solution. In addition I just want to say that when upgrade RAM keep in mind that you are not taking DDR, because your motherboard will not support DDR as it is the older version. Do exactly same as mentioned in above post but just go with DIMM. And if you want more better performance, and then just try to upgrade your BIOS with newer version which can support your machine. It will be good for the PC. Thanks you.

Thanks lot friends; I was in need of the same solution for my PC. As I didn’t want to spend more in this, the solution which you all have given me is perfectly acceptable and I appreciate it. I have decided that I will buy the 512mb of RAM for two different slots and I have also planned to upgrade BIOS with newer version. But I wanted to say that one of my 256mb RAM has stopped working so I am going to buy that also. So initially I am spending a lot for this PC now. Anyway thanks a lot again.