Thread: Linux on Satellite A505-S6014

Linux on Satellite A505-S6014

I have tried to install Linux on Satellite A505-S6014. Before I had tried installing Ubuntu 64-bit, 32 bits, Debian after 64 and 32, all of you who do not succeed as well. But while installing Ubuntu I got a black screen after I choose the language. In Debian, the installations in text mode, after choosing the language system require CD-ROM with the system disk? But, I can install on a disk. Does anyone have any kind of idea?

Re: Linux on Satellite A505-S6014

I have the same problem with the computer. I tried the option from the Ubuntu CD (64 bit) without having to install but still not work, then I tried to install ubuntu in text mode, but could by the CD driver problem then finally installed CentOS, but it's all I get a black screen, please, if you find a way to install linux then how. So please do reply so that i can work on it. as soon as possible please.

I also tried to load Ubuntu, so I tried Fedora 12. Both were 64-bits. Had the same results. Finally, I tried openSUSE 11.2. The installation seemed to go well until the system restarts. He stopped and now I cannot boot the computer at all. Even the recovery DVD work. I am at a loss as to what to do. The team is about two weeks old and I cannot use it. Someone please help.

Well, I can get some success. I can install Ubuntu 9.10, with some problems. First I start with the CD and choose to try Ubuntu (not installed) in graphics mode. After long time of execution of the system and then choose to install (with the desktop icon), follow the steps. And then, after rebooting the system works with some problems: take a long time to boot, the graphics work only in 1024x768, webcam is not working. I just try to solve some problems with the unit. But what is important, I work in Linux.

For me, then, to start and operate wireless I found that "acpi = noirq" works for a quicker start, and also allows the wireless radio to work. I had to download driver from Realtek's site and compile it. I will copy the information of what I did on another forum with a different theme here. No graphics driver for Linux developed by NVIDIA for the GeForce 310 found on these laptops. Also, tell your site when it comes to using the inpage utility to find the drivers for your computer automatically, must obtain the driver and Toshiba equipment manufactuer has nothing on the pages of support GeForce 310 million and do it anyway for Linux drivers, right? So the graphics driver will have to come from somewhere else someday. It is "too new" is what I've heard Linux communities online. My screen is horrible and I cannot access this site using Fedora 12, stirred and stirred and no loads. I can load any other website I tried. So I'm typing this on my Windows XP desktop.

Today I was playing with Windows on my laptop and showed a BIOS firmware update. I was happy, thinking that Toshiba had finally fixed the problems. I updated the BIOS, restart the machine and Ubuntu, alas, will not start. ACPI problems with back. I had to reconfigure my grub (/ etc / default / grub) with the option acpi = ht, for the return of Ubuntu to work more or less. The certainty of this is that next to buying a Toshiba is discarded. It is the disregard for the Linux community.

I just installed PCLinuxOS on my Toshiba Satellite (set to dual boot with Windows Vista). Installation was smooth and the system works well. The wireless adapter is removed from time to time, but this is more a nuisance than a real problem. Just download the live CD from the website of PC Linux and configure the computer to boot to a CD. If you want a dual boot, just change the partition size of Windows (Windows Vista or Windows 7) prior to installation. You may want to consider this distribution. PCLinuxOS seems to have good hardware support. If you are a Windows convert, the interface of KDE and PCLinuxOS are relatively easy to transition to.