Thread: Which OS will be best to switch from Palm?

Which OS will be best to switch from Palm?

I like the Palm OS but the Treo 680 which I am using is stopping to function. So my query is to what OS to shift. I am thinking to go to the Windows Mobile but the place where I am, they don't vend Outlook discretely and since I am Open Office user so there is no point to purchase MS Office just to obtain Outlook. Also WM is on the turn down as Android looks to be OS of future. But what frightened me from shifting to Android is it does not include a desktop application equal to the Palm Desktop. Does it?

Re: Which OS will be best to switch from Palm?

You can change to Android and still utilize Palm Desktop. To maintain everything within sync, all you require is DejaOffice on top of the Android and CompanionLink intended for Palm Desktop on the computer. With this setup, you will be equipped to sync the contacts, calendars, tasks, as well as memos through USB, WiFi, Google, otherwise through a Secure Hosted Wireless plan that they present. DejaOffice is at no cost to download as of the Android Market. CompanionLink meant for Palm Desktop is $39.95, while it comes through a 14-day gratis trial therefore you be able to test it out first.

When I faced this problem then I selected Symbian and I bought a Nokia phone. But it was not so simple, I do not want to be tied to a support contract and Nokia are easy to sell unlocked. I did not like Apple's dominant control of IOS and iPhone features were not important enough for me to pick up a phone and live in an environment that I felt created a line of my portfolio, directly into the coffers of Apple. The Windows 7 can also be a good alternative you.

I went from Palm toward Symbian and after that to Android. While I make out that Android's inadequacy compared to Palm as total PIM integration as well as management. Every modern phones OS contain these shortcomings like Messenger pointed out also for a moment I regretted my move toward Android. And stuff are getting enhanced. I am certain that several people here who moved as of Palm toward iPhone will advise you the similar story.

There are different advantages and disadvantages to each operating system that you will have to work around. On the other hand, there are things you can do with these operating systems running rings around the clumsy if beloved Palm OS. What I do is to first spend time in the forums here and read about the experience of people with different platforms and ask questions. There are many people here who have moved from Palm elses something different. Once you have a better idea of what is the best for you then you can make your selection.

I found CompanionLink while searching details of the Android. It looks very interesting and synchronization with Palm Desktop seems to be the best way to have a decent PC PIM. But Palm Desktop does not sync more with my Treo 680 with Windows 7. CompanionLink Palm Desktop are allowed to synchronize through an Android phone with Windows 7? I also like more details about what is synchronized with CompanionLink, for example, are Palm / s sync custom fields? In fact, I can not test the software, since it has not yet bought an Android phone.