Thread: Linux on a palm devoid of removing ROM

Linux on a palm devoid of removing ROM

I am always looking for a new appliance piece of software to play. I recently read on uClinux. I have a Palm TX that I like to try. I looked everywhere I could think of, and could not find if it replaces the ROM. I like Palm OS and I'm not willing to switch to linux but at least not until I have tried. Is there any way to run Linux from a SD card (just under a gig) and not replace the ROM? Please post your suggestions.

Re: Linux on a palm devoid of removing ROM

There are three ways by which you will be able to do that. I am listing that below. I cannot explain that in detail here. If you want then you can search for that on google to get the complete instructions for that and you will be able to do that easily.Please reply back if any of this helps you.
    • Angstrom Opie
    • Familiar GPE
    • Familiar OPIE

I warn you that your time will reset to the default. I have been using a (partial, as in an incomplete, not quite finished, some minor things missing / broken) Opie image on my T5 with no ill effects apart from having to reset the time when I return to Palm OS. No loss of data, it hangs wrong, but always a good idea to everything backup. I know that this is not the solution but I just wanted to warn you about this.

You may want to try Softick Card Reader. Allows you to connect your device and use the PDA as a card reader. (I'm assuming you do not have a Tungsten T5 or LifeDrive.) If you have a Tungsten T5 (which I have) or a LifeDrive, then you can use only one built-in application that does the same. The hard drive or internal flash does not work with Opie. It us simply ignored and therefore, an SD card is needed.

You need a second SD card. Considering a 128 MB SD card is less than $ 5 now, is big enough to fit the Linux kernel and file-sharing and other things in it. If you have $ 5, then you can buy a small card, cheap for its T2. You can get screenshots, but I cannot obtain to the beam / BT them, for the reason that drivers are still a work in development. As applications, I encompass no idea. But it comes by means of a lot of games, a few PIM, and a few music players.