Thread: The required section was not found in the INF - Zen X-FI

The required section was not found in the INF - Zen X-FI

I have tried several times to install my Creative Zen X-Fi but it is not working. The software is installing fine, but will not detect any devices. Windows detects it each time and asks me to install it but always fails and gives the above error. "There was a problem installing this hardware. MTP device. The required section was not found in the INF". Please help!

Re: The required section was not found in the INF - Zen X-FI

I have finally got it installed somewhat managed to manually install the wpdmtp.inf driver and it is now showing as installed and working correctly, however it is listed in device manager and my computer as "MTP Device" and not "Creative Zen X-Fi" as it was before. Windows does detect it when you plug it in each time, and asks what software to use to open it. However no matter what I choose the software says there is no devices connected, yet it is visible in my computer. Also i have got the removable disk side of it working, so i assume it is still to do with this MTP device issue. Is there no dedicated Zen X-Fi driver i can use? There isn’t one on the disc that i can see.

What OS and WMP version are you using?
    Try this:
    1. Connect your ZEN X-Fi and open up device manager. It should be detected under Portable device.
    2. Right click on the Creative ZEN X-Fi listing and select uninstall. After uninstalling, unplug the player.
    3. Give it a minute or two and re-connect it. You should see the device manager refreshes once the player is plugged in. Open my computer and see if it detected the player as Creative ZEN X-Fi.
    Hope this helps.

Hi mate I am running XP Pro and WMP 11. After following a few guides I had got to the point of it recognizing the Zen as 'Creative Zen X-Fi' instead of 'MTP Device', however the install was still failing and said instead that "the configuration registry key is invalid". At this point I'm thinking I've been playing around too much. So I've uninstalled the player, all the software etc and done a System Restore to before the day I got the Zen. I have now reinstalled the software fine. Plug in my Zen and follow the New Hardware Wizard as normal. It again refers to it as 'MTP Device' rather than what it actually is, and then fails and gives the original error I had - 'the required section could not be found in the inf'. I have just reset my Zen and followed your instructions. It is still giving exactly the same issue. I'm close to breaking point now.