Thread: Creative Zen Micro Startup Failure

Creative Zen Micro Startup Failure

i bought myself a Creative Zen Micro from one of the local shops. It worked fine, music played brilliantly, i was happy. However, today when i turned it on, it would display the 'CREATIVE COPYRIGHT' Screen, and then followed by 'CREATIVE' in large letters across the screen. It would then freeze on this screen, and the off/on button would soon become useless, which meant that i could either leave it on and kill the battery, or take it out. When i took the battery out and in again, it would repeat with the 'CREATIVE' sign. Following the 'recovery' methods, i managed to load the screen with all the different options such as clean-up, etc. However, when i load any of them up, it would freeze once again and i would end up taking the battery out again. I have tried the reset button with a pin but that doesn’t do anything. I have a spare battery that does exactly the same too. My computer doesn’t detect the Zen.

Re: Creative Zen Micro Startup Failure

I have important documents and almost my lifetime's supply of music that took me almost weeks to rip and store into that Zen. Now that it’s basically dead, and i bought it in UK, i have basically no warranty, i feel as if i have been throwing cases of money into the toilet. I need urgent help, if there’s any other ways of restoring access to my Zen. After browsing around forums over the internet, I have found many other people complaining about this, which makes it a MAJOR flaw in the Creative Zen’s. Screw petty chargers and plugs, get the software right.

The problem you have is very simple, yet complicated to be solved. Your Zen’s hard drive is dead. Most of the people who own a Zen don't know it has a hard drive inside. Some mp3 players have flash memory. Chances are that you've dropped your mp3 player. Zen's hard drives are very sensitive and must not be moved around too much. The way to go in this case is to replace the hard drive. It is actually a micro hard drive what you need. Seagate ST1 5GB MicroDrive CF Type II. Once you have a new Hard disk installed you can format it using the Zen’s menu (remove the battery, hold the power button, place the battery in and wait until you see the menu) This requires some experience formatting HD's and installing firmware.

I have the same problem. If I leave the battery out all day and then put it back in, do the clean up and reboot it will work. When I shut it off and try it again later in the day the same thing happens freezes at the creative logo. Customer Service told me I could send it back and for a mere $111.00 they would fix it. They told me it is the hard drive. I have only had it for 18 months. Hello IPod here I come also.

I NO HOW TO FIX IT! It’s the same way you fix ipods that are broken with harddrives in them. I had this exact same problem with mine and it fixed mine altogether. What you do is hold out your hand open and take the Zen and tap the edge of it firmly against our hand. Do this a few times and restart it to see if it still makes the funny noise and BAM your Zen is fixed. If it doesn't work the first time keeps trying but don't hit it too hard.

Isn't it amazing that so many people have this problem! I have it to but with no receipt no replacement and no repair for free! If you ever work it out let me know and i will try anything i feel like throwing it under a moving train! My player has not been working for months a few firm smacks and it did disc clean up and is currently reloading firmware! Why do creative always screw up!

I'm glad my advice helped I've fixed about 3 ipods and Zen's so far. But to answer your question what happens to your Zen is the hard drives becomes misaligned and by tapping it on its side on your hand while it’s trying to spin you realign the hard drive. this happens with all hard drive based MP3 players, that's why you have to be careful and that's also why flash memory is becoming more popular because it doesn't do this so try not 2 drop it anymore people!