Thread: Zen Xtra Nomad Jukebox suddenly not recognized by Windows XP Netbook

Zen Xtra Nomad Jukebox suddenly not recognized by Windows XP Netbook

I'm desperately struggling to get my Creative Zen Xtra Nomad Jukebox MP3 player (version 1.03.02) to be recognized by my computer. (My background is I'm about 4 hours south of my home, temporarily helping my wife who is slowly dying of cancer. I have two laptops with me, one with XP (and the other rarely used here with Vista.) My main computer, a Dell Desktop running XP, is back at home with most everything else as I live out of a suitcase and do the best I can enough said for my situation). About 3 weeks ago, I hooked my Creative mp3 player up to my MSI notebook, (windows xp and recently updated with all Microsoft updates) and noted that the MP3 player was not being recognized by the computer. When plugged into the USB, my computer gave a 'chirp' and would look for hardware for the player, but ultimately it couldn't find it. The DEVICE page of the SYSTEM menu had the Jukebox listed with the nefarious yellow question mark. Though I don't have a CD drive on this computer, I had a portable drive with most of my software with previous loaded software archived there, including the installation disc for my MP3 player; but none of the drivers or software that I loaded would make a difference. I download all sorts of drivers & firmware updates from the CREATIVE web site, nothing changed. I would remove all the creative software, reload, reload software, hook up the MP3 player, and it would recognize the Nomad player but have no way to incorporate drivers for its use. Even as I directed it to the original 'CD' copied onto my notebook’s desktop, my Windows XP with service pack 3 just couldn't do more than let me know that it couldn't quite recognize the player other than identifying what it was. I could uninstall the device, the drivers; all to no avail.

Re: Zen Xtra Nomad Jukebox suddenly not recognized by Windows XP Netbook

My incorrect guess at the time was that something internal to the mp3 player was broken and though I was lucky that it still worked as a player without any issues, I just had no way to access the 30Gb of books & lectures. Nor would the Creative Media Source work with it, as it felt that the player was not even hooked up to the computer. So, I bought a new 'used' identical model on ebay, except that the seller had upgraded the firmware and the hard drive. Once I got the new player, it too, would not be recognized by my MSI netbook. (Though it works on the laptop I have running vista). Last week I gratefully went home for one day to check my mail and attend to a few matters, and upon hooking my original MP3 player to my main desktop, my original MP3 player immediately docked to my computer and was working as it always had? Now, atleast, I knew the MP3 player was working and functionally intact, and the challenge was completely computer software issues on my netbook, possibly due to some service pack upgrade or the sort. I've spent several hours, reviewing all sorts of fixes and maneuvers; from blogs and tech support pages, though none made any difference as I changed various settings or software’s on my netbook. I saw lots about Vista not supporting my old firmware (which isn't an issue as my Netbook is XP. I also saw that Windows Media player might have been the problem, and reverted to WMP 9, then to 10, though still no change.

Just try this out may this help you out. For the player you have with the 1.03.02 firmware installed this driver. Then install MediaSource5 & the plug-in for it. Install them in the order posted. As for the updated one that one is a MTP device since it has the updated firmware that works with Window media player 11. Hope this helps you out so do reply if it helps.

You are incredible. I have spent hours loading drivers, software, deleting things, reloading and your recipe worked perfect. Thank you, thank you, and thank you. Lastly, and if you are too busy to answer this, I will understand, but it's just my inquisitive nature. Obviously, everything I was doing was wrong. I went to creative's web site, located drivers & software for my device, and nothing allowed in to work. I'm just kind of curious what I was doing that was so wrong? I even had a copy of the original disc, from my Zen that I tried running, but even it didn't do what you were able to direct me to do. Anyway, many, many thanks! Amazing, you are!

Thanks for the reply. I sure wish I had a better understanding of this. I will request one more piece of invaluable knowledge from you! My old Zen & windows xp computer hum in awesome performance again. Unfortunately, since I thought my old Zen was broken, I'm now with this new beast, with the updated firmware 2.10.03. From what I previously read on Boards and Forum pages, this device shouldn't be connected to my XP computer while I'm still using my OLD Zen with old firmware. As you mention in the above note, I connect this 'new' Zen to my Vista computer, & it immediately goes into docking mode. I tried loading the newest firmware available for my device (though it doesn't list vista as compatible), and of course, when the media source version 3.30.21 loads, it doesn't have a clue that my Zen is connected. Only WMP version 11 seems to pay attention, which may not be that bad. But once I was up & running in WMP, I couldn’t seem to create playlists and or even clearly get it to load the Audio Lectures that I have onto it. So, Wise, All Knowing CREATIVE Wizard, any suggestions what I do? Delete WMP? I will hope never to bother you again, once this is solved! But I am tremendously grateful for the assistance. I only spent about an hour in WMP accomplishing nothing, before I realized I should just turn to you, admit my defeat, and hope for insight and practical advice!

You can install Creative MediaSource5 , the Plays For Sure Plug-in & the Creative Zen Xtra Explorer Apps on the Xp. I have both versions of MediaSource on my Xp computer however I DO NOT have WMP11 on that computer just WMP10.It all works. I keep the Xp with WMP10 because I do updating of firmware on that one. Make Sure you install the correct plug-in for MediaSource 5 one is NOT the PFS version.

It took a while. It was so much easier when you actually posted the links, but each time I thought I was downloading what should work didn't work until wah-lah! Success! Thank you for your WELL wish. I will probably make contact with a lab technician this weekend & find the biopsy result, pretty much deciding whether she's going to live or be dead within a month or two. Scary, it is. Anyway, thanks to you, regardless of the path, the two of us can again listen to some very spiritual and uplifting tape series together and I am so appreciative of your help to keep my Zen Jukebox working because it speeds lectures up 50%. And sometimes, time is pretty precious, if you know what I mean!