Thread: Creative Zen 2GB not recognized in Windows XP SP3

Creative Zen 2GB not recognized in Windows XP SP3

I have uninstalling WMP11 is not currently an option. How can I get Zen Media Explorer to recognize my player? Frankly, I think it's BS that Creative has not addressed this issue with a fix. Pretty weak support for a product that a lot of us paid good money for. I have tried all kind of thing I know about this. I also tried to applying the patch for the Media Explorer. Still it is not working. So please help me out.

Re: Creative Zen 2GB not recognized in Windows XP SP3

I can’t tell you exactly what your problem is. However I can tell you that it isn’t a Windows problem. I have a 2Gb Zen V Plus and I’m also using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (and SP 2 before that) with it. I’m also using WMP11. I’m also using the Creative Media software that came with my unit when I bought it two years ago. I have never had a problem with any of the above. If you haven't tried this already I'd suggest uninstalling the Creative software and then try reinstalling it. I've had to do that with numerous software programs over the years that didn't work right the first time around. The second time around has almost always taken care of the problem. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

I'm not using a Zen V Plus. Just a regular Zen 2GB. This is MOST CERTAINLY a problem with SP3 and/or WMP11. Everything was fine until I installed SP3. I've test installed Creative software on two other computers running SP2 with absolutely no problems. A test install on another machine running SP3 with WMP11 produced the exact problem I'm having on my computer. I've reinstalled from the Creative CD on my computer many times with the same result. From researching this problem via Google, it's obvious that it’s a widespread problem. I've yet to see a workaround or a fix, much less an official acknowledgement that this problem even exists. That's shoddy product support if there ever was. I enjoy all other aspects of my Creative Zen, but I'm starting to think I should have bought an Ipod or Zune instead.

I also have Windows XP SP3 operating system on my computer and can tell you my Zen 16 GB player (bigger brother of yours) works without any problems. In fact my older Micro Photo and fairly old 20 GB Zen Jukebox players work and have always been ok with any Service Pack added by Microsoft. Can't believe it's an operating system problem! May I ask is your player recognized when you sync to it in Windows Media player 11 and does the device manager in your PC detect it when connected? Is it purely Creative Zen media explorer the problem occurs with as this would point to software problem here?

I also have a Windows XP SP3 installed in my PC and my Zen Xi-Fi 8GB have and other Zen products have no problem. If you have installed and reinstalled your Zen programs that came along with your product, then it might be Windows problem. Is the XP you installed original? Some programs might be lacking if it’s not. You might want to also seek Windows help why it’s not recognizing your Zen.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's encouraging that some of you have indeed had luck with Zen & SP3/WMP11. Windows XP does recognize my Zen when I plug in through USB. I get the message "found new hardware: Creative Zen". But when they Found New Hardware Wizard pops up, it describe my Zen as an "MTP Device", and refuse to allow the Creative drivers to be installed. The Zen Media Explorer program on my install CD installs fine, but refuses to recognize my Zen when it is docked via USB. My Zen even shows up in Device Manager under "Portable Devices" as a CREATIVE ZEN, but there is no way I can think of to install the proper drivers, as no Creative software will recognize my player when it is plugged in! Windows recognizes my player, but the Creative software does not. THAT is my problem.

Ok, I installed Windows 7 Friday night, and just out of curiosity I dug out my Zen, which I had come very close to tossing away. All my synch problems are now vanished! Windows 7's built-in Zen support is as good as or even better than Creative's synching software. It seems that Microsoft has done more to make me happy with my Zen than Creative did. Still bitter and skeptical as far as purchasing another Creative product, but I owe it to anyone that tried to help me to let them know that the problem I had is now solved.