Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Zen 32 GB need bookmark and resume function

Portable Devices

Old 24-04-2011

Zen 32 GB need bookmark and resume function

Support told me, to write in the forum, that I want Firmware mending the flawed Bookmark and Resume Function. They said, developers would look into the forum and see, what people ask for the most. So people, if you want a real Bookmark function and a real resume, you should answer here, or maybe better, open your own threads so that developers will see a lot of people want it! Together we are strong and it can?t hurt to try.

Old 24-04-2011

Re: Zen 32 GB need bookmark and resume function

I just bought the Zen X-Fi, which has a great bookmarking tool. The X-Fi is based on the Zen, which I used a little a few months ago and it does have a nice bookmarking tool. If I recall correctly (and this is also how the X-Fi works), you can make a bookmark from the context menu of the currently playing file. You have to access stored bookmarks from the main menu, but this can also be set to the customizable menu button, which is convenient. Now I'm not positive that the Zen has a customizable button, but that's incidental to my point. Is the bookmark function on your Zen different from what I've described? Maybe you haven't figured this out. It would be nice to be able to create and retrieve bookmarks from the same button, yes. Also, when you delete a bookmark, it doesn't sort out, but that's not really a "big problem". Just being able to bookmark a *position* in a file, and not just the file name, is a rare functionality on daps these days, and that makes the Zen X-fi, and the Zen, valuable indeed.
Old 24-04-2011

Here the reasons why the bookmark and resume function really are useless: Only when you use it, it rips the track out of the context. So if you return to the bookmark, it?s not say track 14 out of 16 but track 1/1 and after listening to it you still have to go back to the album menu and scroll to the track after it. This really kind of ruins the whole thing. I would like to know, if the same happens with the Zen xfi. And the resume function won?t work after 4 hours. When you turn the player on after more than four hours, the resume will bring you only as far as the start of the last track. But not the point in between that you heard when you shut it down.
Old 24-04-2011

I don't know what you mean when you say "it rips the track out of the context". I can't speak directly about the Zen, since I have th Zen X-FI. And I don't know how the bookmark function behaves with audiobooks, which you may be doing. But for long mp3 files, as with recorded radio shows, the X-Fi resumes where it left off, this is just a built-in function. But to make absolutely sure I can find my place when I return, I make a bookmark.
Old 24-04-2011

Many people using the Zen for audio books don't want the entire book as a single, huge file. They want it segmented into manageable portions, e.g. one track per chapter. The "book" is a playlist of the chapter tracks. They want the bookmarking feature to encompass both the last position in the playing track as well as its membership within the context of the playlist. That way when you resume at a bookmark, and play through to the end of the track (chapter), the audiobook would proceed to play the next chapter track. The current bookmarking functionality only considers a single track. Resuming from a bookmark only puts that one track into the active playlist.
Old 24-04-2011

I wondered why my Zen seems to resume fine at times, then other times starts over at the beginning. With songs this may not be much of an issue, but with audiobooks it's a hassle; you basically have to remember to set a bookmark, or spend who-knows-how-long fast-forwarding to try to find your spot. Many audio books (NetLibrary) are one file for a whole 15-20 hour book. My 3-year-old Zen Nano Plus resumes from where you shut it down, regardless of how long it sits between uses. This is inexcusable, to have the "resume" work for a few hours, but fail after that. That's not a request for a feature, it's a bug fix, and if you expect people to recommend or buy your stuff, you need to fix the bugs. Now I find out that if you plug it into the computer, it's likely the time and date will jump around sporadically. This too is not acceptable; it's something wrong that needs to be fixed. Certainly, being able to bookmark from the SD card would be a desirable feature, and it should be there; but that's another issue feature requests and bug fixes are not the same thing. I have about 3 weeks to return for a refund or exchange. In that time, I need to find out if this is something that's being fixed or not; if not, it goes back, and you can be sure that the user reviews on the product pages at Amazon, Buy.com, and Newegg at least will have reviews that describe these serious flaws and let prospective buyers know that you're not going to fix them because I'll put the reviews there myself. This is a great little unit, it's obvious that a lot of thought and care was used in its design how you can possibly then let it go out when it can't even keep track of the right date, or a simple function like resume where it was shut off? There's no excuse. Please tell us you're actively involved in fixing these issues, and a fix WILL (not might) becoming very soon.
Old 25-04-2011

I get most of my audio books from Audible; there is no problem with bookmarks in Audible. Also if I forget to set a bookmark and just turn off the player it resumes where I left the book. With other books I have learnt the hard way to always make a playlist for the books if I want to find my place in them again without much fuss. However I agree that an improved bookmarking function would be desirable.
Old 27-04-2011

In a futile attempt to see if they had possibly fixed this in a minor firmware upgrade, I ran the recovery tool and had it download the latest firmware. I noted the date of the firmware was February, 2008. This does not look good. If this bug has been around this long and they haven't done anything, I'd be surprised if they do it now. I didn't buy a player so I could pay Audible for audio books; I bought one that I expected to work properly for what it's designed to play, and that includes audibooks from various sources. NetLibrary puts its whole book in one file, which is dumb, but regardless of that, if the player resumes like it should, it's no big deal. My old Zen Nano plus can do it, why can't this much newer and fancier one? To top it off, I checked my order at Newegg, and noticed they will only exchange it, no refunds. They probably knew that a lot of people would be returning them, so nipped it in the bud. Guess the best I can do is leave lousy reviews for it in every place I can (truthful, but noting that it has bugs that they aren't interested in fixing). It's a shame, because it's basically a fine player, and people (apparently mistakenly) trust the Creative name. I just don't understand how companies like this (and Creative's not the only one by far) can just shrug this stuff off it's a failure to do a simple task that it's designed to do, and is pertinent to the usability of the device. They're probably working on their next model and don't want to bother, but fat chance I'll be buying that one after this experience. Mine doesn't hold the resume for four hours, it works for maybe an hour at most, but it seems to vary.
Old 27-04-2011

Here's what I do and it works. As I'm about to stop my listening session I leave it running and bookmark it. Then, while the audio book is still playing, I turn the player off. When I resume listening at a later time the Zen always resumes at the exact same spot regardless of how long I had it turned off. I always bookmark because if I connect the Zen to my computer it loses the spot I was listening to. I just check the bookmark and fast forward to that location. It's not a perfect solution. Creative should really fix all of this stuff (pause - auto resume & bookmark recall that includes all parts of an audio book). I still really like mine. I would also (feature request) like to be able to auto-resume or bookmark from the SD card playback. But this might be asking too much.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , , ,