Thread: Slow GPS on HTC Inspire

Slow GPS on HTC Inspire

I just received my first Android phone yesterday from AT&T. In all means completely fantastic device, apart from the GPS. GPS is starting for like 4 to 5 minutes each time, attempting to discover satellites. Later than digging a few discussions elsewhere I have installed file manager and exposed that /etc/gps.conf and /system/etc/gps.conf are mis-configured. Generally SUPL_HOST is not configured in any way, and placeholder of FQDM (stands for entirely Qualified Domain Name I think) is left, so mostly A-GPS is obsolete, so phone has to start up normally GPS device- loading the whole thing from satellites which as well take minutes on my car GPS navigator. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Slow GPS on HTC Inspire

GPS does need an initial "warm-up", in that it must obtain the short-lived data from each of the GPS satellites. HTC Windows Mobile phones utilize to have an application called "Quick GPS" which permitted the user to download the short-lived data by Wi-Fi or 3G rather than getting it straight from the GPS satellites. Here the procedure: Quick GPS is software which is loaded on the majority HTC or Windows Mobile devices which have integral GPS capability. QuickGPS is not a GPS program. It is program that obtains data through the internet (moreover by Wi-Fi or other data connection) which offers the information that the GPS program requires about the GPS satellites which are in orbit on the NAVSTAR GPS system.

I am acquainted with the theory behind the GPS. I as well know that what called A-GPS is actually meant at speeding up procedure by downloading ephemeris and directory from internet for approximate location of phone triangulated from cell towers. So as phones are linked to internet and cell towers with known estimated coordinates involves that phone shall not actually have much of cold/warm start (assuming that cell towers are configured aptly and internet connection is obtainable, which is as well assumed to be a must in a big metro area).

Mine is a bit dissimilar. My location on Google maps looks to sync up quite rapidly, but I have up till now to wait long sufficient for the Google navigation application to sync up. I have waited for quite a lot of minutes and it at a standstill gives me the donut going around saying something like "Downloading Route". This is about a week old phone and I am just learning how to utilize it fully. I lastly waited long sufficient for it to sync up and all seems to work well now. The YPMobile trouble was because of its clunky interface. I obtained it to sync to my present situation also after a few trial and error.

My Inspire was slow to signal lock while I was inside my workplace building. While I walked out, it synced within one minute. I utilized Google Nav to steer a 65 mile trip counting the return without occurrence. Make certain GPS is switched on and you are outside of buildings earlier than engaging Google Nav. As well, on long trips, make certain you utilize a car charger to keep the phone going. GPS is a battery control, especially if you leave the display on all the time.

I know you say your trouble is fixed, but there is surly a GPS problem with Inspire phones. GPS for my Inspire has been non-extant. I actually had a Captivate earlier than this. Now I have the latest Inspire and it is giving me the similar problems. I have been to 2 dissimilar corporate ATT stores and attempted it on several HTC Inspire phones there and would you think it, many of the phones have this problem. A great application to employ to see the connectivity is called "GPS Status". This will illustrate you an actual-time display of the satellites your phone is hooked up to. The symbol is grey with an orange satellite on it.